Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98' Ford Taurus SE with 77,000 miles on it and I recently replaced my front left ball joint and wheel bearing, with much difficulty. I also had to replace the lower control arm because I couldn't remove the ball joint from it. But anyway, my original plan was to replace both sides, but after 5 days, and $250 extra I was forced to ignore the opposite side till I get some extra money to have it done by Ford.
When I finished, the noise subsided, short of the side I hadn't done, and the wheel bearing noise went away. I figured I was good for awhile. I put everything back properly and tightened everything according to the torque specs. But several days later started making 3 new noises. Theres a rattling almost creaking sound from the side I worked on, the ball joint noise seems to have migrated to the center of the car as well as the side I didn't fix, and theres a slightly severe thumping noise when I take tight turns, accelerate, and stop. I checked it out again and everything looks fine, everything is tight and secure.
It's scaring the crap out of me, especially because I drive 80 miles a day for work. It's a little hard to diagnose a problem without hearing/seeing it, but would you guys continue driving it? I don't know what Im gonna do, but Im genuinely scared that something is going to fail at 75mph and Im gonna wreck.

-Nate

·
Registered
10,953 Posts
Noise

I have a 98' Ford Taurus SE with 77,000 miles on it and I recently replaced my front left ball joint and wheel bearing, with much difficulty. I also had to replace the lower control arm because I couldn't remove the ball joint from it. But anyway, my original plan was to replace both sides, but after 5 days, and $250 extra I was forced to ignore the opposite side till I get some extra money to have it done by Ford.
When I finished, the noise subsided, short of the side I hadn't done, and the wheel bearing noise went away. I figured I was good for awhile. I put everything back properly and tightened everything according to the torque specs. But several days later started making 3 new noises. Theres a rattling almost creaking sound from the side I worked on, the ball joint noise seems to have migrated to the center of the car as well as the side I didn't fix, and theres a slightly severe thumping noise when I take tight turns, accelerate, and stop. I checked it out again and everything looks fine, everything is tight and secure.
It's scaring the crap out of me, especially because I drive 80 miles a day for work. It's a little hard to diagnose a problem without hearing/seeing it, but would you guys continue driving it? I don't know what Im gonna do, but Im genuinely scared that something is going to fail at 75mph and Im gonna wreck.

-Nate
It is possible you pulled the half shaft out of the trans enough that the retaining ring is not seated. You could look at the shaft in the seal to see if it is out of it's original wear position.

-chart-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chart, tbh Im not sure what it was. Had the front end worked on by a local Ford dealership, cost a lil bit, but it's quiet and secure now :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts