Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need new front brakes for my 05 sedan,(rotor's and pad's) i want 2 get better than OEM rotor's and i was thinking bout slotted rotor's but not drilled cause my friend had slotted and drilled rotor's and it cracked in 6 month's, so if anyone has information about slotted rotor for my car i would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
They are dime a dozen on EBay but most of made from China so you do need to be careful.

The real upgrade will come from Pads like Hawk pads.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so should just get sum autozone rotor's and get sum hawk pads?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I purchased a set of slotted and cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads for all 4 corners of my wagon a few months back. I can confirm that they have held up great and were just as expensive if I were to buy OEM parts. BUT, these things work SO MUCH BETTER! I was really suprised with how well these have worked.

Also, they were purchased off of ebay and I have bought the same sets for my other car because they have worked so great!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I highly recommend Ate PremiumOne rotors (ATE -ATE PremiumOne® Rotors). However I do not have any experience with their pads.

A friend of mine always had warping problem on his BMW 5-Series (now replaced with '01 Taurus), until he put on Ate rotors. They lasted very long time without any problems. You just have to bed them in properly.

I'm planning to use them on my 'Bull' when it's time for replacement of the rotors.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I replaced my frt. rotors to pass inspection and had Hawk pads installed at the same time. I don't drive hard, but the Hawk pads feel much less soft than the pads I replaced. And, they MUST be warmed up slightly when U 1st start off. But, I'm used to this w/ my other car's semi-met. pads.

·
Registered
797 Posts
All carbon metalic pads to some degree need to heat up before they grab well. I believe the Hawk pads that people talk about here are usually that material. I know they do make ceramics too but you need to be clear on what you are buying.

Hawk has a good reputation and people here seem to be very happy with them.

I have used Performance Friction carbon metalic pads on my 96 and I was disappointed. I used them on my 93 (which was prolific in warping rotors) and I saw a huge improvement and was very pleased. In both cases I use premium rotors.
If you decide to stay with a Ceramic consider Akebono. A friend of mine has had them on his car for a year and he has been very pleased. I should also say he has Brembo rotos too. He drives aggressively.

I have noticed more rotors are dimpled instead of drilled through. An obvious attempt to strengthen the rotor and help with the heat transfer.

From what I have read.......(anyone feel free to correct or add to this)..........Slotted and drilled rotors only add benefit on the race track. Unless you are driving very agressivley you will not see a difference. Except in price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts