Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've replaced the inner tie rod and I'm trying to put the boot back on. I'm doing the passenger side at the moment.

How do you tell that the big side of the boot is back on? Mine seems to be. Feels like it is. But, can't really feel much way back there. And, can't really see much either.

I'm trying to tighten the tie wrap. What tool do you use to reach back in there? I can get a hold of the tie wrap but cant really tighten it much when holding on with just two fingers. Just end up pulling the boot off. Anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks for your assistance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've replaced the inner tie rod and I'm trying to put the boot back on. I'm doing the passenger side at the moment.

How do you tell that the big side of the boot is back on? Mine seems to be. Feels like it is. But, can't really feel much way back there. And, can't really see much either.

I'm trying to tighten the tie wrap. What tool do you use to reach back in there? I can get a hold of the tie wrap but cant really tighten it much when holding on with just two fingers. Just end up pulling the boot off. Anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks for your assistance.

I just did both sides this past weekend. The boot will only go back to far. Also, you will most likely have to pull the boot forward some to place the small metal clamp on the tie rod itself. You can almost feel it stop plus the hose that runs between both boots should be seated in the both boots. I put the plastic tie on to where it's snug with the boot. After I get it in place, I used long needle nose pliers to turn the twisty tie to tighten it down. Not really to hard but you need to make sure your hose between boots is seated. I got under the car to look at both sides to confirm it.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
Consider using worm drive clamps instead of tie wraps. I have never had a clamp come loose but a collision shop used a tie wrap and it came loose a year later.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Consider using worm drive clamps instead of tie wraps. I have never had a clamp come loose but a collision shop used a tie wrap and it came loose a year later.
Agree: I used 2 or 3 of the narrow small worm drive end to end and used a quarter inch drive socket/extension/ratchet to tighten.

As to depth, have to get the cross tube engaged on both sides and that will limit the depth and should match the stop on the rack housing.

-chart-

Found pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I was able to reuse the old clamps by carefully spreading the crimp then re-crimping it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did pick up a long nose pliers. these are 11". the 16" ones probably would be better. not a store close to me that sells them though (at least not one that I know of).

I was trying to get the vent into the boot. But, the vent tube was moving around. And, it was actually pushing back. The vent tube had come out of the boot on the other side. Must have pulled out when I removed the boot.

anyway, I figured I'd just pull the vent tube towards me, push it into the boot and I wouldn't have to worry about pull it out when removing the boot from the other side.

But, now I cant push the vent tube back in. any one happen to have a picture of how the vent tube is orientated when it is in place. or, maybe some instructions about routing it around things to install it.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
i did pick up a long nose pliers. these are 11". the 16" ones probably would be better. not a store close to me that sells them though (at least not one that I know of).

I was trying to get the vent into the boot. But, the vent tube was moving around. And, it was actually pushing back. The vent tube had come out of the boot on the other side. Must have pulled out when I removed the boot.

anyway, I figured I'd just pull the vent tube towards me, push it into the boot and I wouldn't have to worry about pull it out when removing the boot from the other side.

But, now I cant push the vent tube back in. any one happen to have a picture of how the vent tube is orientated when it is in place. or, maybe some instructions about routing it around things to install it.

Thanks
Pic of driver's side, tube goes parallel to the ground and rotation is per pic.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,915 Posts
Good luck with the tie wrap staying in place, they have never lasted long for me. I use clamps now.
For the vent tube, just pull up a pic from a parts site, the new one will show you the orientation of the tube.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agree: I used 2 or 3 of the narrow small worm drive end to end and used a quarter inch drive socket/extension/ratchet to tighten.

As to depth, have to get the cross tube engaged on both sides and that will limit the depth and should match the stop on the rack housing.

-chart-
So how easy is that to get access.

I'm doing this in my driveway on jack stands. Not alot of room under the vehicle for my head, much less jack stands, wrenches, lights, arms, etc. I can see it would be easy with a car lift.

can you just reach under the car with a wrench and see the clamps through the wheel well?

·
Registered
46 Posts

Thanks
My tube was roughly in the same place shown in the pic that chart posted. I used the 16" needle nose but you could use the worm clamps as mentioned. Don't know why I didn't think about using those when I did mine. I did use the good ties.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ok we are making progress.

Thanks a lot on the tube orientation. I was thinking the orientation was 90 degrees different. But, with your help, 2nd try and it was back in.

Now, my question is how far does the vent tube go into the boot. There is a collar/bump near the end of the tube. Does that collar go into the boot or does the collar go just up to the boot?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
clarson651
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing