Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the inner and outer tie rods on my sister's '94 Bull this past Saturday. She has 172k miles on original engine and tranny. I also changed the struts. Had to do these to pass state inspection. Everything was going smooth considering this is the first time I've done something major like this with the help of my brother. Everything that is until we got to the inner tie rod boot clamp. We were able to reconnect the one on the driver side but had no luck on the passenger side one. We spent over two hours trying to put it back on but finally gave up. It was getting dark. Finally decided to use a wire tie. I'm thinking there's gotta be an easier way to put that clamp back on, maybe a "special" tool. Any ideas or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I use a screwdriver to pry the clamp apart. Then, place the edge of the crimp against the corner of a vice or something similar and use a hammer to flatten the crimp back out a bit. You should then be able to put it back on the boot, and either use the proper crimping pliers to squeeze it again, or use side cutters, but don't squeeze it too tight and damage it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts