Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know a fix I found recently. I had a thumping noise going over bumps that sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car. I searched the forums and could not find a fix. A few days ago I had some time to just get a flashlight and look for anything that may be loose under the car. I believe I found it. It apprears that the Park brake cable rides along the driver's side just behind the rocker panel. There is an adjusting knuckle just under the driver's door. It has padding on it but when the brake is disengaged, it tends to bounce and "thump" on the floorpan. I put a "loose" zip tie around the cable and the brake lines to keep it from moving too much. Be sure not to pull it too tight as to not damage the brake lines. Problem solved. No more thumping. Just thought I would pass it along.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
LOL I remember chasing that on my 97 for a while. One of the many, many design flaws on the 3G Taurus. No way a big turnbuckle should be allowed to dangle loose under a car like that.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have a thump in the rear too. It's from my exhaust hitting a gas tank strap when I go over bumps fast or do hard cornering. It's nothing more than the rubber exhaust hangers being stretched out. I'll probably take up the slack with some stainless steel aircraft safety wire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
LOL I remember chasing that on my 97 for a while. One of the many, many design flaws on the 3G Taurus. No way a big turnbuckle should be allowed to dangle loose under a car like that.
Yup, I had a tire that was starting to separate and causing a bit of shimmy. That part swinging under the car made it sound like the world was coming to an end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts