Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I purchased a 92 LX 3.8l v6 Wagon in early spring. It had a few problems that I have worked on since that time, I got the car very cheap ($400 canadian) with only 110km or 60k miles. The oil was very dirty and the oil filter was almost blocked. :unsure:

The only current problem that I am concerned with is the thump in the front. I though maybe a bent rim, or unbalanced/worn tires, so I went out an purchased two new MotorMaster Touring LXR and had them put on the front. That made no difference so I guess I have some front end problem. As speed increases the thump gets to the point it is like a shake. Very bad shake.

My though is that I either have a bad wheel bearing in the front or maybe a loose tie rod end or ball joint.

I will have the car in the shop this week and would like to know what to look for.

Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had both of my front wheel bearings replaced a couple of months ago. I didn't experience that sound you are describing. I was having more of a grinding feeling, couldn't miss it at 35mph or so. If I was on a straight road and turned slightly left it was really noticeable, then when I would turn it back it would stop and as soon as I was going straight it would be there again. What I am trying to say is I could manipulate it for the better or worse when I was trying to figure out what was wrong.

On the tie rod ends, I took my mothers tracer into the shop and there was a noticable flutter under the floor plan. It ended up being the tie-rods and they needed to be changed immediatley. Didn't drive it on the highway so don't know what it sounded like over 45mph.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
That thump is most likely a bad sway bar link. Buy some new Moog ones, problem will be solved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts