Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so me and my girlfriend kinda got into an argument earlier and i got mad and like i turned the car on and hit reverse real fast, and since then, the car is making a weird thump when i accerlate at low speeds, like 35 and below. if i push the gas, then let off, the front of the car will like thump and lower down some, like something is moving around in the hood that shouldn't be. if anyone knows whats wrong, please respond! thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
Check the motor mounts, and also the transmission mounts. If a engine mount is bad, you'll get a thump when you accelerate. The torque on the engine causes it to move, and with a busted mount, it moves more than it should.

Also, does it thump when you shift from like Park to Reverse or Park to Drive or Reverse to Drive?

As for a tranny mount, I don't know, because I've never had one let go on me. Someone else here, though, will know something about that.

Good luck

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep, the front motor mount is broken!i raised the hood and turned the car on and into park to drive and drive to park and the motor just shot strait back, so yeah. dad got under the car and looked and said it's broken up, so it looks like parents will have to be giving me a ride to work for a few days till he can get to town and buy a book on the taurus and some front mounts, but thanks for y'alls help.

G

·
Originally posted by gabod7@Jul 31 2004, 08:28 AM
yep, the front motor mount is broken!i raised the hood and turned the car on and into park to drive and drive to park and the motor just shot strait back, so yeah. dad got under the car and looked and said it's broken up, so it looks like parents will have to be giving me a ride to work for a few days till he can get to town and buy a book on the taurus and some front mounts, but thanks for y'alls help.
Anytime bud, that's what we're here for! :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just for what it's worth, it's a stinky job to attempt yourself. I didn't have enough U-Joints in my tool box or my arms to do it on my 1995 Sable 3.8.

I bought a set of motor mounts on eBay for $56.00 delivered to my door. When I figured out that I couldn't do it myself, I took the car and the mounts to Pep Boys, and they did the install for $165.00. It took them a couple of hours to do it. Frankly, it was worth it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks y'all. Me and my dad installed it in about an hour and half. woulda been quicker but the little bolt that went thru the mount into the frame or whatever was on the verge of stripping, so that took a while longer to get that in it perfect. and it sure was a dang messy job too, grease everywhere i looked.
the piece was like 90 bucks at advance auto parts," hydraulic front motor mount ".
does anybody know how long the motor mounts should last? and also is this a good time to go ahead and do a torque strap?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
You don't want the hydraulic ones. Our van had hydraulic mounts and all the oil leaked out. It was replaced by a rubber mount which I'm sure will last much longer. I think how long they last depends on your driving style. Go ahead and do the torque strap.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by LoadedLX@Aug 1 2004, 03:16 PM
How much of a difference as far as power goes does a torque strap make?
not too much. maybe a few hp, but not sure if you'd ever see it get to the wheels...also it'd negate itself after a while, because the chain would eventually bend enough to not do any good. or am i wrong?

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I get the joy of having to replace mine. Long overdue, but wondering if there are special notes when changing mine any of you would like to tell me about? Any secret tricks to make it easier?? We'll be doing the rear one. Also when changing it, anything else I should take care of checking out?

Also, do I need to get a new insulator as well, or just the mount? O'Reilly's has a mount in stock for only $25, so I'm pretty happy about that.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by j0rd4n+Aug 1 2004, 03:19 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j0rd4n @ Aug 1 2004, 03:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LoadedLX@Aug 1 2004, 03:16 PM
How much of a difference as far as power goes does a torque strap make?
not too much. maybe a few hp, but not sure if you'd ever see it get to the wheels...also it'd negate itself after a while, because the chain would eventually bend enough to not do any good. or am i wrong? [/b][/quote]
Actually you would gain ft/lbs of torque not hp. Since it keeps the engine from moving it increases low end torque. More then anything it reduces the wear on the motor mounts and helps them to last longer.

If you get the right bolts (SAE class 8 can withstand 150,000psi) and a chain rated for a heavy enough load (800lbs should be more then enough) you shouldn't have to worry about the strap bending or wearing out over time. However it never hurts to check from time to time that the bolts/nuts are still tightened over time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts