Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 95 Taurus with the AX4N transmission (not the same transmission I was having trouble with before). When I'm moving (25+mph) and I let off the gas, there's a noticeable "thud". Same when I press on the gas. It doesn't occur when taking off and doesn't occur if I ease on or off the pedal. It isn't audible, but can be felt (though it isn't terribly strong)

It's more prone to doing this after a long distance. I've checked the motor mounts and that isn't the issue. Could it possibly be the torque converter?

Edit to add more details:
It always does it regardless of speed and distance traveled when dropped into first. More harshly as a matter of fact.
The transmission works flawlessly aside from this. Shifts perfect, no thud when going between park/reverse/drive.

·
Super Moderator
7,912 Posts
nANd also check sway bar end links. Common failure point that causes thuds on accel / decel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I'll check everything this weekend when I have more time.

The sway bar end links were replaced about 3 months ago. I just checked them and they're still all good.

I've also noticed there's a bit of what feels like shudder when driving. It causes an otherwise smooth road to feel slightly bumpy

·
Registered
594 Posts
Based on the thud and shudder, I'd check the torque on the subframe bolts. Make sure you torque with full load on the wheels.

Then move onto inspecting other bolts and bushings eg control arm.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Did your problems begin after changing the sway bar links?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 95 Taurus with the AX4N transmission (not the same transmission I was having trouble with before). When I'm moving (25+mph) and I let off the gas, there's a noticeable "thud". Same when I press on the gas. It doesn't occur when taking off and doesn't occur if I ease on or off the pedal. It isn't audible, but can be felt (though it isn't terribly strong)

It's more prone to doing this after a long distance. I've checked the motor mounts and that isn't the issue. Could it possibly be the torque converter?

Edit to add more details:
It always does it regardless of speed and distance traveled when dropped into first. More harshly as a matter of fact.
The transmission works flawlessly aside from this. Shifts perfect, no thud when going between park/reverse/drive.
Check the transmission or the transmission mounts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I was checking everything, I noticed the subframe bushings seem a bit funky, I've ordered new ones and will putting them on weekend after next.

The problem was there before changing the end links, I just didn't notice as much. Recently work has had me traveling about 40 miles round trip daily, and as I said, it tends to only act up after longer distances. (Or when warm, it's hard to tell)

The transmission mounts are tight and the bushings seem fine. I doubt it's the problem, but I'm going to check the bell housing bolts just to be safe.

Sorry for not quoting anyone, I can't get it to work on my phone. Thanks for the help everyone! I appreciate it

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 96 that was doing that at 25miles I had a problem in the value body of the transmission. I had just had the trans rebuild and when I got is back it would have a big thud a it was warm I took it back and spend another $300 on a new value body. the thud on mine was a shifting point from 1 to second that the shop could not stop after working on three times so we opt for a new one and it has stop. may not be the same problem but just food for thought.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I fixed the problem. The front subframe bushings were bad. Once those were replaced, the problem completely disappeared. Thanks for the help everyone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts