Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Try checking compression if you have you think you have confident you don't have a vacuum leak or ignition coil and or plugs and wires. Also make sure you ran the wires properly to the right place. Easy to mess those up.
Coil plugs wires all new. I change wires 1 for 1 about 4 months ago. As for compression well I'd have to research I'll assume you mean piston compression. Everything vacuum wise has been replaced or checked many times.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Coil plugs wires all new. I change wires 1 for 1 about 4 months ago. As for compression well I'd have to research I'll assume you mean piston compression. Everything vacuum wise has been replaced or checked many times.
I screwed up on the front wiring when I swapped the coil. I worked on cars for 40 years and messed up. You said it’s running like a tractor but what does that mean

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I screwed up on the front wiring when I swapped the coil. I worked on cars for 40 years and messed up. You said it’s running like a tractor but what does that mean
It's spuddering like the engine is having a hard time. idle is rough idles smooth for a little while (minutes) then starts spuddering and running rough then straightens up. Floor the gas while parked and its like I'm holding it and letting go and holding it but I never let off gas.As far a I know the throttle body works and I cleaned it near spotless when this all began

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I cleaned it. I don't know how to check if it malfunctioning. Throwing fuel injectors at it today just for no reason...

·
Super Moderator
8,119 Posts
Just because plugs are new doesnt mean they are good. Probably 8 or so years ago, changed plugs in my 02 Grand Prix GT 3800 Series II. Started it up, and ran like crap. Wouldnt rev, and I suppose I could say it sounded like a tractor idling. Fairly quickly set a missfire code for cyl 5. Pulled #5 plug and CAREFUL inspection showed a hairline crack in the #5 plug insulator. Replaced that plug and it once again ran perfectly.

Many many years ago, before the days of OBDII, I had a brand new plug wire that was bad out of the box.

This is what we get these days when even most name brand parts are manufactured in the third world with minimal to no quality control.

Do you have access to a GOOD scan tool like Forscan, Autoingenuity, etc that can show Mode 6 data so you can watch missfires in each cyllinder accumulate in real time?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Just because plugs are new doesnt mean they are good. Probably 8 or so years ago, changed plugs in my 02 Grand Prix GT 3800 Series II. Started it up, and ran like crap. Wouldnt rev, and I suppose I could say it sounded like a tractor idling. Fairly quickly set a missfire code for cyl 5. Pulled #5 plug and CAREFUL inspection showed a hairline crack in the #5 plug insulator. Replaced that plug and it once again ran perfectly.

Many many years ago, before the days of OBDII, I had a brand new plug wire that was bad out of the box.

This is what we get these days when even most name brand parts are manufactured in the third world with minimal to no quality control.

Do you have access to a GOOD scan tool like Forscan, Autoingenuity, etc that can show Mode 6 data so you can watch missfires in each cyllinder accumulate in real time?
Thanks Jeff. I changed the plugs(and set gap) 7 days ago. Plugs were only 3 months old but I was thinking the same maybe it's a bad plug.Ill see if this tool I have has mode 6. Also this problem was there before the plugs were changed both times.

·
Registered
10,036 Posts

New wires need to be check for resistance before installing. Son bought the high priced "wire wound" wires for a Ford pickup, inline 300 ci 6. It acted like it was running out of gas under heavy load but it was a distinct misfire. I told him to ohm the wires. He said, they are new and the best. OK but do it anyway. One was open. He kept the old wires in his parts box so replaced them all and took them back.
-chart-

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just recently learned my lesson about buying cheap coil packs and was scratching my head about an issue before realizing it. Don't go cheap on that stuff.

Btw, have your fuel trims changed since doing the work, and can you get a fuel pressure reading? You may need that compression test.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check out the very top of the plugs to see if it spins or it's loose,then check inside the opening of each end of the wires, if they slip on and off easy tighten them up little by little until they 'click'in

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
See pic. Been there done that twice. OK this plug fits loose as a goose in the MC wire. So it arcs inside a closed chamber which creates ozone and that ruins the rubber. Ford tec explained that to me. I'll stick with MC plugs and check them with this scrap wire for fit. Ford tec said this is not unusual with aftermarket plugs. Made in Mexico.
-chart-

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts