Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In trying to get the tranny ready to bolt back up to the motor, we were trying to reinstall the throw out bearing and it seems to be "sticking" when moving the clutch fork. Tried greasing it up and it didn't do anything. I'm thinking with the proper tension from the clutch cable that it will act right, but I could be wrong. When I move the clutch fork, it needs a little wiggling to get it to go all the way up or all the way down on the input shaft. ????? I'm stuck!

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
did the tob just slide on the quill sleeve or did u have to tap it on? The tob should just slide on there and move freely. You either have the wrong sized tob or wrong sized quill sleeve. Tob should move freely and easily on the quill sleeve on the imput shaft

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It slides on easily. It just seems to get a little cockeyed when you move the clutch fork. It's the original TOB that came off the tranny when Nick took it apart.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
is the pin still on the shift fork that moves the tob? the tob barring needs to attached to that pin in order to keep it from rotating.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The plastic pin was broken. Substituted with a cut-down cotter pin per Beth's advice... I really think it has nothing to do with the pin. It seems like the TOB just doesn't "fit", but as far as we know, it's the stock one that's been in the car since 93...

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
buy a new tob and quill sleeve it's 16 bucks for the kit at advanced auto

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by Tara@Jun 1 2004, 09:51 PM
...but as far as we know, it's the stock one that's been in the car since 93...
Ought to smack you for reinstalling a 10 year old throw out bearing. :p What are you thinking? They are cheap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by eCarâ„¢+Jun 1 2004, 09:02 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (eCarâ„¢ @ Jun 1 2004, 09:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Tara@Jun 1 2004, 09:51 PM
...but as far as we know, it's the stock one that's been in the car since 93...
Ought to smack you for reinstalling a 10 year old throw out bearing. :p What are you thinking? They are cheap. [/b][/quote]
It's not the original one, the car recently had a clutch job... it's an OEM Ford part. Sorry. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure what advice you got, so I'll throw in my 2 cents. First off, Greg's correct, the quill sleeve and TOB need to be a proper set. There are 2 different sized quills and TOB's (the newest style being rev. B), and one won't interchange with the other. Never, ever grease the quill sleeve or the ID of the TOB. This will eventually cause binding due to the friction material of the clutch sticking to the grease.

Ya know, I do have a phone. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts