Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05' Taurus at 90,000 miles and has been idling weird for the last few months. The idle surges and drops around 50-100 rpm. Dies on first start when it is really cold out, second time it will start completely fine. Occasionally, I will hear a strange sound when the transmission is shifting. Gas millage sucks, around 19 highway. I have searched for a vacuum leak with propane and can't find anything. When I unplug the harness from the TPS, it runs fine. I can even rev up the engine, and when it comes back down it will barely catch itself (will not die). I have replaced the following:

Valve Cover Gaskets
IMRC Gasket
Spark Plugs and wires
Air Filter
Cleaned Mass Airflow Sensor
Cleaned IAC valve

I haven't changed the fuel filter because I don't know where to find the clips. Anyone have any idea where I can find them?

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
My 05' Taurus at 90,000 miles and has been idling weird for the last few months. The idle surges and drops around 50-100 rpm. Dies on first start when it is really cold out, second time it will start completely fine. Occasionally, I will hear a strange sound when the transmission is shifting. Gas millage sucks, around 19 highway. I have searched for a vacuum leak with propane and can't find anything. When I unplug the harness from the TPS, it runs fine. I can even rev up the engine, and when it comes back down it will barely catch itself (will not die). I have replaced the following:

Valve Cover Gaskets
IMRC Gasket
Spark Plugs and wires
Air Filter
Cleaned Mass Airflow Sensor
Cleaned IAC valve

I haven't changed the fuel filter because I don't know where to find the clips. Anyone have any idea where I can find them?

Any help is appreciated!
-
Clips at the "Help" section of parts stores. Need to know which ones. I have 2 '03's identical equipment: different clips.

-chart-

·
Super Moderator
7,692 Posts
Disconnecting the TPS puts the engine in limp home mode. It may run ok because it is running richer than normal in limp mode to keep the engine safe.

Check long term fuel trims on both banks at idle and 50 mph cruise and report back with the numbers. I think you have a vac leak you haven't found yet.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
How many miles are on the upstream 02 sensors? They become slower and wil decrease mileage if they haven't been changed.
Check the vacumm distribution box and related hoses for vacumm leaks. It's in the firewall, connected to the brake booster.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Cleaning won't fix a bad MAF. Go for a new motorcraft one at WalMart for $25. They can be bad even if there are no codes and they test good.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Cleaning won't fix a bad MAF. Go for a new motorcraft one at WalMart for $25. They can be bad even if there are no codes and they test good.
I know we asked in another thread, but no response... Where are these $25 dollar MAF sensors at Wal-Mart?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
kellymm
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing