Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever replaced a throttle cable on a 2001 Taurus with the DOHC engine?

Mine just got stuck a few days ago, I happened to floor the accelerator and then the engine rpms stayed up at about 4000 rpms, hit the brakes and it was difficult slowing it down, but fortunately there wasn't any traffic in front of me. I popped the transmission into neutral and it just kept revving at 4k. Killed the engine and played with the pedal thinking it might be stuck and restarted, but it went right back up to 4k. Then I popped the hood and noticed that the cable had slipped out of a plastic holder and was jammed against the side. Moved it so that it popped back in and it was fine again. In the meantime, I used a piece of zip time to hold it together, looks like bits of plastic broke off. Also duct taped it so it wouldn't move backwards.

Ordered a new cable but not sure if it's a simple fix. Looks like it connects to one item near the firewall and just unscrews. I think unhooking it from the throttle body looks simple, just not sure about the other end, if it goes to the gas pedal or if I'm set with whatever that part is near the firewall.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Cable unsnaps from linkage and then you turn the cable end on the firewall cruise controller while depressing the side clip. It will lift off. I replaced mine with one from the Junk yard.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cable unsnaps from linkage and then you turn the cable end on the firewall cruise controller while depressing the side clip. It will lift off. I replaced mine with one from the Junk yard.
I just got one from the dealer. List price was $34.58. Didn't think I could get it much cheaper once you factor in shipping. I'll try putting it in later tonight.

I thought it was the throttle cable, but it's really the cruise control cable which was exactly what the previous message was talking about. I just didn't it would be the cruise control as I wasn't using it at the time, I just assumed that the outer cable was the throttle cable.

I'll keep the receipt in case Ford decides to issue a recall.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Sounds like you are in good shape now. Always good to get something like that fixed quickly!! Glad you found one easily.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This exact situation is happening to my 2001 Taurus. The throttle gets stuck because of a piece of plastic that has broken and it creates a very dangerous situation.

So there is no recall right? Is the part that I need called the cruise control cable? It looks like a simple replacement but I'm having trouble finding out exactly what the part is so I can get one.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
The exact thing hppened to my 2006 so the problem wasn't fixed in five years. Two years ago I tie wrapped it to keep it in place.
I believe it may have been designed that way in case the cruise control servo locks up the cable will not keep the throttle from closing. I will pop off the post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone ever replaced a throttle cable on a 2001 Taurus with the DOHC engine?

Mine just got stuck a few days ago, I happened to floor the accelerator and then the engine rpms stayed up at about 4000 rpms, hit the brakes and it was difficult slowing it down, but fortunately there wasn't any traffic in front of me. I popped the transmission into neutral and it just kept revving at 4k. Killed the engine and played with the pedal thinking it might be stuck and restarted, but it went right back up to 4k. Then I popped the hood and noticed that the cable had slipped out of a plastic holder and was jammed against the side. Moved it so that it popped back in and it was fine again. In the meantime, I used a piece of zip time to hold it together, looks like bits of plastic broke off. Also duct taped it so it wouldn't move backwards.

Ordered a new cable but not sure if it's a simple fix. Looks like it connects to one item near the firewall and just unscrews. I think unhooking it from the throttle body looks simple, just not sure about the other end, if it goes to the gas pedal or if I'm set with whatever that part is near the firewall.
I have had the same problem recently on my 01 dohc , I have really bad shifting problems now due to it , poor idle as well , had to manually adjust mine to keep it at bout 600

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had the same problem recently on my 01 dohc , I have really bad shifting problems now due to it , poor idle as well , had to manually adjust mine to keep it at bout 600
It also revs really high on occasion and that is when it slips off , I used wire to hold mine on but I don’t know the best solution

1 - 9 of 9 Posts