Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I´m from Brazil and I have a 1997 LX Taurus 3.0 24V Duratec Engine.

Last year the check engine light came not off and the TPS Sensor broken mark fixed 17% open (in idle or full open) no more, no less... also I remove the sensor and the internal pieces shake inside... that´s the end, sensor mark nothing...

I buy a "new-used-one" in local website for used parts and the seller garantee 100% works fine.

I can not mount the sensor so that it makes a correct reading, following image and video below to realize that it is the same sensor (bought used), my doubts would be probably the sensor is defective or have a adjustment of the idle position...

If I manually mount if 45º in "wrong position" its work fine...

So I do not know if I remove the throttle body would regulate this tip ... Prefer only remove if sure of it...

Use the ELM327 Bluetooth Scanner and Torque for Android software, could anyone compare these values ​​with me?

Any ideas?

There is my big baby and the video:

·
Registered
431 Posts
my 1st question would be do you have the correct part since neither sensor has the same part number. ( it may not matter but I had to ask)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my 1st question would be do you have the correct part since neither sensor has the same part number. ( it may not matter but I had to ask)
Well, my car is 100% original and never broke, and the sensor was removed is on the second frame in photo... a "new-one" is next... its the same for me...

Anyone have the expertise if have any adjustament in the piece of put inside of sensor in IDLE position? (mark as yellow in the photo) or my new sensor is out of range?

The Brazilian Ford company not seller any Taurus in brazil, 100% of cars came directly new one from USA, find original new replacement pieces is a nightmare... I live in Recife/PE - Brazil, is a 3.5 million people city, but I only see a 10 units of 1997 Taurus and a 20 units 92-95 Taurus...

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't have an answer for you but someone should be along shortly to help. hang in there.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I live in Recife/PE - Brazil, is a 3.5 million people city, but I only see a 10 units of 1997 Taurus and a 20 units 92-95 Taurus...
Can you access eBay? It might be a better alternative to you for small parts like this one.

The only adjustment would be the "zero" position (throttle plate completely closed, sensor to minimum position). If throttle does not close completely, it might be something else wrong.

Idle speed is regulated separately, by the IAC valve that sits on top of throttle body.

·
Super Moderator
7,808 Posts
Are you 100% sure you have installed the new one correctly? It can be kind of tricky to get the TPS aligned correctly with the "tang" (flat blade) on the throttle shaft if you have never done it before.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Hi all,

I´m from Brazil and I have a 1997 LX Taurus 3.0 24V Duratec Engine.

Last year the check engine light came not off and the TPS Sensor broken mark fixed 17% open (in idle or full open) no more, no less... also I remove the sensor and the internal pieces shake inside... that´s the end, sensor mark nothing...

I buy a "new-used-one" in local website for used parts and the seller garantee 100% works fine.

I can not mount the sensor so that it makes a correct reading, following image and video below to realize that it is the same sensor (bought used), my doubts would be probably the sensor is defective or have a adjustment of the idle position...

If I manually mount if 45º in "wrong position" its work fine...

So I do not know if I remove the throttle body would regulate this tip ... Prefer only remove if sure of it...

Use the ELM327 Bluetooth Scanner and Torque for Android software, could anyone compare these values ​​with me?

Any ideas?

There is my big baby and the video:

Throttle body sensor position 1997 Taurus - YouTube

Your part no is correct. Fits '97-07 all DOHC same part.

Takes a bit of logic and care but, on the car, looking forward on the car, thus looking at the back side of the sensor: (side with the part no)
turn the elect connector straight down and push it on flush. Then turn it CCW and you will feel the tang engage the TPS just before your holes line up. Insert screws.

CCW is counterclockwise. Go the wrong way and you mess things up bad.

Now remove the accordian if you have not already done so, and move the throttle plate from closed to open and back. It should move with spring resistance. The throttle body has a spring and the TPS has a spring.

Best of luck.

-chart-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you access eBay? It might be a better alternative to you for small parts like this one.

The only adjustment would be the "zero" position (throttle plate completely closed, sensor to minimum position). If throttle does not close completely, it might be something else wrong.

Idle i aspeed is regulated separately, by the IAC valve that sits on top of throttle body.
Yes, I have access eBay, also alredy buy a 6 pack Motorcraft Sparkplugs, the time to came is over a month (30 - 40) days and the cost of mail service is over twice the piece
(60+ dollars), so I be afraid to get another new one sensor and have the "same problem".

The throttle plate is work fine, close and open smoothly and no grip at all... the engine speed at idle (zero) is perfect (600rpm) and perfet correted if turn on the air conndition or any other accessory...

My big doubt is if have any adjustament in zero position to correct the plate there is inside to command the sensor, apears to me it now about 45º need to be adjusted on a new position to the sensor work correctly.

If I manualy fix the in 45º backward position (no screw can be fixed) and test, I have a correct sensor read...

If I pop out and directly insert the sensor to original position there is a big delay to the sensor start work...

If a mount rolling back the position about 45º and twist the spring to original position, I have a big readind while the throttle plate in zero position, about 60%, and if I open the throttle plate I have a overload, the sensor show 100% whith a minimal twist and if I continue I get a zero position (sensor overload).

If I manually put a screwdriver the sensor read ok, 0 to 100%, the problem appears the plate initial position...

Are you 100% sure you have installed the new one correctly? It can be kind of tricky to get the TPS aligned correctly with the "tang" (flat blade) on the throttle shaft if you have never done it before.
Well, I read a lot of manuals and videos in the web... the tricks is an minimal adjustamment... not my problem, is about 45º :(

Your part no is correct. Fits '97-07 all DOHC same part.

Takes a bit of logic and care but, on the car, looking forward on the car, thus looking at the back side of the sensor: (side with the part no)
turn the elect connector straight down and push it on flush. Then turn it CCW and you will feel the tang engage the TPS just before your holes line up. Insert screws.

CCW is counterclockwise. Go the wrong way and you mess things up bad.

Now remove the accordian if you have not already done so, and move the throttle plate from closed to open and back. It should move with spring resistance. The throttle body has a spring and the TPS has a spring.

Best of luck.

-chart-
part no is correct? My car is a 1997 DOHC Duratec 24V engine... and the sensor originally removed of my car is on the second frame in photo, work on car since 1997 to 2013...

I alredy do your recommendation, but while the sensor is in the "screw position" I alredy have a big read of sensor since the zero position...

Anybody have an scanner EML327 to show me how yours car work?

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Flavio, start by putting the sensor on with the harness connector pointing UP and slightly back (perhaps pointing to passenger wiper pivot). Now rotate the sensor clockwise (as viewed from backside of the sensor) until the connector is pointing towards the intake manifold (away from you as you were standing) and the bolt holes line up. Insert screws. Next disconnect the battery for a few minutes, and reconnect it. Start the car.

The PCM learns the idle position of the sensor, and may be using that to influence the TPS % reading. So if you don't disconnect the battery the PCM will not know you've moved the sensor.

If the above doesn't work, you either have a busted sensor from messing with it, wiring that is faulty, or you somehow bent the throttle tang that fits into the sensor so it's no longer calibrated properly.

I think we have to be carful here guys because the throttle body on the vulcan engine rotates the opposite direction of the 'tec so the install orientation and rotation will be opposite.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Start by putting the sensor on with the harness connector pointing UP and slightly back (perhaps pointing to passenger wiper pivot). Now rotate the sensor clockwise (as viewed from backside of the sensor) until the connector is pointing towards the intake manifold (away from you as you were standing) and the bolt holes line up. Insert screws. Next disconnect the battery for a few minutes, and reconnect it. Start the car.

The PCM learns the idle position of the sensor, and may be using that to influence the TPS % reading. So if you don't disconnect the battery the PCM will not know you've moved the sensor.

If the above doesn't work, you either have a busted sensor from messing with it, wiring that is faulty, or you somehow bent the throttle tang that fits into the sensor so it's no longer calibrated properly.

I think we have to be carful here guys because the throttle body on the vulcan engine rotates the opposite direction of the 'tec so the install orientation and rotation will be opposite.
That is exactly backwards as I have stated.
Not going to argue.
Best to take the TB off the car and try it on the bench.
CW will turn the throttle plate partly open and not let it close.

Added a pic of the shaft in the position it is at idle stop. TPS if pointed up will not turn CW beyond the pic.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
I respectfully disagree chart. I don't want to argue either, so I'l post my reasoning here.

DOHC Duratec engine (Flavio Cruz):

If you look at the video you can see that he is pulling down on the throttle cam to get the throttle to open. If you move your viewpoint to the backside of the TPS sensor (looking towards TB from TPS end), that would mean opening the throttle body is a counterclockwise rotation. Therefore you would have to turn the sensor clockwise a bit to preload the TPS. Based on pictures of used throttle bodies, the TPS has to be pointing towards the intake manifold, which means the sensor needs to start pointing up in the air.

OHV Vulcan engine (for comparison):

Now the vulcan is completely different because of how the throttle linkages are arranged, which means opening the throttle body is a clockwise rotation instead. So to preload the sensor it would have to be a counterclockwise rotation during install. This also means the sensor ends up pointing the opposite direction on the TB:

If anyone else can find a lapse in my logic here please post!

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
I respectfully disagree chart. I don't want to argue either, so I'l post my reasoning here.

If you look at the video you can see that he is pulling down on the throttle cam to get the throttle to open. If you move your viewpoint to the backside of the TPS sensor (looking towards TB from TPS end), that would mean opening the throttle body is a counterclockwise rotation. Therefore you would have to turn the sensor clockwise a bit to preload the TPS. Based on pictures of used throttle bodies, the TPS has to be pointing towards the intake manifold, which means the sensor needs to start pointing up in the air.

Now the vulcan is completely different because of how the throttle linkages are arranged, which means opening the throttle body is a clockwise rotation instead. So to preload the sensor it would have to be a counterclockwise rotation during install. This also means the sensor ends up pointing the opposite direction on the TB:

If anyone else can find a lapse in my logic here please post!
Pic attached is shaft from '01 DOHC. The original post said 24V.
In my pic, note the shaft moves CCW viewed from the front of the car. CCW when the throttle moves away from idle. So CW from the TPS end.

Any one disagree?
Please chime in.
I went out in the cold to look at my '03 DOHC to be sure
-chart-

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I have to replace the TPS on my 03 to see if that fixes the occasional deal where the motor has the cutting out issue. I will try and take some photos for you guys if that will help. I should have them this weekend.

Tom

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
I have to replace the TPS on my 03 to see if that fixes the occasional deal where the motor has the cutting out issue. I will try and take some photos for you guys if that will help. I should have them this weekend.

Tom
Good idea. And from my exp. you would do well to take the TB off the car to do that. The screws are a pain to get loose. They use threadlocker and the end stick through opening which can let the ends rust. Good time to clean the bore and plate. I have used acetone and a rag to good results. They warn about spray cleaners. The ball bearings have seals and fit the shaft on O-Rings for leak free operation. Those may not like what one sprays into the shaft area. So with acetone and a rag, I do not get the bearings wet with solvent.

Thanks for your reply.

-chart-

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I made a new thread with the pictures.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I think Behlinla is right on this one. The throttle body in that video turns the other direction then my 03 and 06 do. 1/3 of a turn of preload rotated CW when looking at the part number on the TPS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hi all,

The war is not over yet , and to make matters I lost the battle ...

Since I was informed that it was to mount unintentionally in the heat of the moment just mounting the sensor on the plumb stem and twisted clockwise , contrary to what happens when you press the gas and... CRASH!!!! the sensor internally break... and something inside sensor pop out and move in...

I am now with 2 dead sensors in hand ... I beguin the search for other, preferably with the same numbering ...

I still have doubts about the mounting position , was a believer that the connector was facing the side of the battery , however checking this photo , the connector of the TPS is passenger side , now do not understand anything ...

Some charitable soul could send me a picture of mounting your TPS sensor a 97 please?

i all

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Hi all,

The war is not over yet , and to make matters I lost the battle ...

Since I was informed that it was to mount unintentionally in the heat of the moment just mounting the sensor on the plumb stem and twisted clockwise , contrary to what happens when you press the gas and... CRASH!!!! the sensor internally break... and something inside sensor pop out and move in...

I am now with 2 dead sensors in hand ... I beguin the search for other, preferably with the same numbering ...

I still have doubts about the mounting position , was a believer that the connector was facing the side of the battery , however checking this photo , the connector of the TPS is passenger side , now do not understand anything ...

Some charitable love could send me a picture of mounting your TPS sensor a 97 please?

i all
OK take the accordian off the TB so you can see for yourself. From the TPS end the shaft turns CW to open the plate. So, put the TPS on connector down, and turn it CCW and it will make contact few degrees from holes lining up and connector near to the right side or toward the intake. It should require very light pressure to turn it the last few degrees and the plate should remain closed.

Best of luck.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Yes, the TPS connector needs to point towards the intake manifold like in my other picture of a Duratec throttle body.

Chart, I still think you have the rotation wrong. If you look at the picture, you can see where the throttle stop on the cam touches the screw attached to the ear sticking out of the throttle body. A CCW rotation to open from the throttle side would be impossible unless those two pieces went through each other. Therefore throttle open is CCW from the TPS end and the TPS needs to be preloaded CW (starting pointing up, and gets rotated CW to end pointing at intake manifold). This rotation is clearly visible in the video he posted.

My labeled picture:
coletor-de-admisso-ctbi-ford-tauros-6v_MLB-F-4608833610_072013.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, the TPS connector needs to point towards the intake manifold like in my other picture of a Duratec throttle body.

Chart, I still think you have the rotation wrong. If you look at the picture, you can see where the throttle stop on the cam touches the screw attached to the ear sticking out of the throttle body. A CCW rotation to open from the throttle side would be impossible unless those two pieces went through each other. Therefore throttle open is CCW from the TPS end and the TPS needs to be preloaded CW (starting pointing up, and gets rotated CW to end pointing at intake manifold). This rotation is clearly visible in the video he posted.

My labeled picture:
View attachment 88913
As can see on my video de TB open in CW direction...

Let see my labled picture to see if I´m right:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts