Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as per the advice on these forums, I went and bought some Tb cleaner, as my gas pedal is sticking. I followed the directions on the can; removed the air box hose to the TB, turned on the car, and then sprayed a bit in ....... the car stopped dead. I tried to start the car.. no avail.. let it sit for a minute.. then started it up.. this time it did start, and now works fine (as I drove it around afterwards for about 20 mins)..

Did I miss something here? Why did it stall out? Any recommendations?? I really want to get this working so my pedal stops sticking...

Also - how do you move the butterfly manually? I tried pushing on it (lightly pushed on it), and couldn't make it budge.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Well if you look at the butterfly valve, there should be a round bulge that goes all the way across the middle. And if you look at the outside housing of the trottle body(left side, I think), you should see something that has cables atached to it. Visually line up the bulge with the thing that has the cables on it to make sure it's the right part, and rotate it. It should open the butterfly valve.

Also, the can of cleaner I used had seperate instructions for cars that will not run with those sensors disconnected.

Sorry you ran into some trouble the first time. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
it not necessary to have the motor running. Just clean the linkages on the out side too where the cable connects, the sprint etc...

or better remove the whole Throttle body, not difficult at all. that way you can then remove the throttle plate and clean the spindle easily. Be a little careful abt the TPS through. But its pretty cheak abt 20 bucks at autozone,

A

·
0 Posts
When I cleaned my TB, I just removed the entire UIM and cleaned everything at the same time. You already have the cleaner, why not just clean everything? If you see the inside of your intake manifold before/after cleaning, you'll know why this isn't a bad idea

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i did remove & clean the UIM with TB cleaner..

I go quite a bit of black liquid, out of it, when I turned the UIM to empty all the TB cleaner I had sprayed about about 5 mins earlier.

But the UIM did not have too much gunk as I thgt it would.. after all its just a set of pipes to get the air in

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did not disassemble, but used the spray with the car OFF. Works like a champ now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts