Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my Ipod adapter broke so I thought I would try the new Metra 99-5718 Dash kit for my 2000 sable. The install was about as hard as any other dash kit for a Taurus. The thing that worried me however was the fact that the instructions tell you to embed the temp sensor within the dash using the provided housing, I was worried about under dash temps vs ambient in car temps but it still works as it should and 80 degrees still does the trick for a cold Alaskan night. I installed a p3200bt (mid-range quality double din) without a problem. It works good and functions as it should. Metra's online pictures of this adapter make it look chintzy but the construction is pretty solid although I do have complaints about the climate control. The buttons are soft and squishy like a calculator. I'm 5-9 and I like to drive with my power seat all the way off the floor and pedals all the way forward and it makes it difficult to completely see the LCD which is also reminiscent of a calculator. All in all it does what it should and I'm getting used to my touch screen.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
That is a nice looking kit, much better than the other Metra kits I've seen. The plastic has a smoother texture, everything looks very clean. If you didn't already know what factory looked like, it would pass as a factory climate control.

Overall, I like this, thank you for sharing the pics with us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks awesome! I am looking at ordering this kit for my Taurus this week with this exact head unit. Pretty pleased still about 3 weeks after install?

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not having any trouble with it, It still does what it should...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I know this is an older thread.. but has anyone else purchased this kit and installed it on their car I would like to see how it looks with different headunits... **thinking** how would it look with a flip out unit....

*anyone.... anyone at all**
:)

thanks

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
^ +1 - Double dins are also great if you want to run a carpc (I will be doing this :) ) I have manual controls though.

That kit looks like ALL kits should, as close as to the factory finish and texture it can be. Most kits have a bumpy texture and are very thin cheap plastic, it looks like you got yourself a good one.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Why would you want a flip out when you can have a double din?
Well for some odd reason I like the flip out units just for a little more privacy.... cant see the monitor from the outside unless you leave it flipped out..
I know i'm a little odd. :)
But I would still like to see more pics of if anyone else has this Metra EATC kit

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Well for some odd reason I like the flip out units just for a little more privacy.... cant see the monitor from the outside unless you leave it flipped out..
I know i'm a little odd. :)
But I would still like to see more pics of if anyone else has this Metra EATC kit
to each his own. im odd too. i like din head units with motorized face plate. i hate detachable faces as time goes on the connections get bad. i had an eclipse comp radio with pre-outs only that i used for 8 years and when i sold it, it still worked like brand new. before that i went through a couple of detachable faced radios. lost the face on one and broke another one when i got out the car and fell on the ice. :angry:
as far as the dash kit. there isnt a ton of choices. but a little fiberglass can make things look really nice. i was thinking of hitting up the junk yard and seeing if i could find the kit and build it to my taste. maybe i will make a mold and take orders for unfinished kits so they can be personalized per taste. hmmmmm is there a market ?? :unsure:

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
I put one in my Dad's '02 about a month ago. It comes with everything you need. Easy as it get's to install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
i have a somewhat complicated question. I recently intalled the metra dash kit w/o digital climate control on my 2003 taurus se. I've had it done by a professional and after install my ambient cluster lights stopped working. I've also noticed some other odd stuff occuring. After locking doors using remote the lights underneath my side mirrors are staying lit. When turning on headlights there is no correspondet lighting from the tail lights. I've checked fuses and all seems fine...does anyone know what the relation to installing the dash kit this issue has?

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Should have no relation. I know when I installed my EATC one which is more complicated I did not run into any issues...Have a look at your wiring under the dash and see if you notice anything odd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts