Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used continental touringcontact and procontact and been satisfied in the past, but i dont think i got as long of wear the last go round (not sure how many miles i have on them)

I see wal mart has goodyear viva 2's cheap $333 for 4 installed

my 97 taurus has 165k on it and is still in amazing shape, and i still really like the car, yet i have to be aware that at any time it could have a problem that woud blow the economics of keeping it, so i dont want to dump a lot of money into it

has anyone had both the conti's and the viva 2's and can compare them? any comments on the vivas?

my main priority is quiet, non junky feel, i dont need 'high performance'

any other suggestions for decent, but not overpriced tires?

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
You get what you pay for. I recently bought a pair of triple tread Goodyear tires and I can't complain. :)

Monsoon

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'd love to complain about my Viva 2, but considering I'm running 4 different tires I'm not sure which one(s) is/are responsible for the dynamics I dislike.

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
I've used continental touringcontact and procontact and been satisfied in the past, but i dont think i got as long of wear the last go round (not sure how many miles i have on them)

my 97 taurus has 165k on it and is still in amazing shape, and i still really like the car, yet i have to be aware that at any time it could have a problem that woud blow the economics of keeping it, so i dont want to dump a lot of money into it

has anyone had both the conti's and the viva 2's and can compare them? any comments on the vivas?

My main complaint with Viva tires is noise. Starts out a bit noisy and gets worse with time. No more for me.

-chart-

·
Registered
1997 Ford Taurus 3.0L Wagon 226,362 miles
461 Posts
I put a couple of sets of the Viva-2's on both my Taurus and Impala a few years ago, but I stopped because they both started experiencing front-end issues. I think these tires might go out of round over time. Also, I think they're more susceptible to hydroplaning, which happened to me with BOTH cars with only average wear at the time (I don't run my tires down to the threads).

No more Viva-2's for me, either.

I put a set of 4 BFGoodrich's (can't recall the model offhand) on the Impala two years ago. Better rated tire across the board (speed, load index, temperature, traction ratings) and so far no problems. Got a $50 rebate, too. I think it cost me $405 for the set (installed).

Looks like the $50 rebate is on right now @ GFGoodrich. Don't just buy the cheapest tire you can. Compare the ratings and make a judgement call. I think I could've put another set of Viva-2's on at the time for about $60 less than the BF Goodrich's, but I thought the better rating of the BFGoodrich's was worth the (marginally) extra cost. Plus, I bought the tires at an independent tire shop with a good reputation. The people balancing the wheels at this place probably did a better job than the person I would've had handling my new tires at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds like there might be a case for sticking with the conti's, at least i know what i'm getting (you can get them for not that much more than the vivas). i dont really have any complaints beyond wear

i think there's something to be said for using the original tire type, the manufuacturer is likely to pick a tire that's not unflattering to the car, when they're trying to sell the car new, a decent tire is cheaper than the engineering it would take to make the car the same level of quiet

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
The Viva 2 are a walmart only goodyear tire... Get the road hazard with them and keep the 65k warranty paper work and receipt. They are a loud tire with poor wet, dry and winter traction but... they are cheaper than most 45k mile tires.

Personally, I'm going with a set of Yokohama AVID Touring-S with walmart mounting and balancing the four for an additional $60. Cost would be ~$412.00 Just saying.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've used the vivas on my 2000 Taurus with good results...but in So CAL my winter driving is like my summer driving. So I have had good wear and traction.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't cheap out on tires. They are your only contact with the road. Goodyear TripleTred or Michelin HydroEdge are the way to go.

You put that cheap Chinese made crap on your car, you're only asking for trouble.
continentals are german, not chinese

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
as far as the good year triple treads go. they have an issue with side wall cracks. I had 2 sets. one on my crown vic and the other on my trailblazer. both had cracks on all tires. I never used tire shine on them.
I dont know if they fixed the issue with them or not.
On the plus side I loved them. with them on my crown vic i have no problem with traction.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
as far as the good year triple treads go. they have an issue with side wall cracks. I had 2 sets. one on my crown vic and the other on my trailblazer. both had cracks on all tires. I never used tire shine on them.
On the plus side I loved them. with them on my crown vic i have no problem with traction.
I have not had the same experience but then again I don't live in AZ. Heat may have some thing to do with it? I use to live in AZ. Triple treads will begin to get noisy when 80% tread is gone. And its really annoying. I probably could have gone another 2-years but the noise was too much for me. Furthermore I have to deal with ice and snow, so getting a new pair of tires is all about being safe as well.

Other than that these tires have have been really robust for me. Very quiet on the highway as well.

Monsoon

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I have not had the same experience but then again I don't live in AZ. Heat may have some thing to do with it? I use to live in AZ. Triple treads will begin to get noisy when 80% tread is gone. And its really annoying. I probably could have gone another 2-years but the noise was too much for me. Furthermore I have to deal with ice and snow, so getting a new pair of tires is all about being safe as well.

Other than that these tires have have been really robust for me. Very quiet on the highway as well.

Monsoon
no az for me. Michigan and ohio. I really haven't noticed any road noise. But now that you said that I am sure i will. LOL

When i Bought my tires, belle tire and discount tire sold them and both have the "we beat the competitors price" after about 15 calls to both stores I ended up getting 3 tires at cost and 1 sell at price with free road hazard.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You definitely get what you pay for... That being said... The one set of Viva2's i got from Wally World lasted fairly well with air checks every 2 weeks and proper rotation (NOT front to back) every other oil change. Yes, they had horrendous wet/snow traction, but I knew that from the get-go. The main reason I don't buy Wally World tires anymore is because of the specifications. My understanding is that in order to get a tire that will undercut the same tire at a corporate location (Bridgestone/Firestone, Goodyear) is that the specifications for the tire arent quite as strict as the tires sent to the corporate locations. Of course I heard this from Goodyear and BFS when I worked there, as well as the Michelin rep when I was working at Sears... to be perfectly honest, it may just have been a line of BS, but to hear the same line from 3 independent sources makes me think, "Better safe than sorry!".

Of course my SHO has Primewells on it right now, but I got it that way!

·
Registered
81 Posts

Not quite sure when you bought both of your sets. But they did switch the design recently on the trippletreads, so it is a new tire now, i think within the past year.
You guys must have low milage because those are at least 160 a pop depending on the size. Not including mount and balance. It is one of goodyears best tires and should perform wonderfully in snow and ice as an all season tire. I give you props for protecting your investment and not being sticklers!! Thank you!

Of course with 80% tread gone your going to hear a change in noise level. That should be a given. Itl happen. Otherwise new, specially the new design is very quite.

I personally am running Dunlop SP-60s on my car. Which are now discontinued since they were upgraded. But this is the first true set of tires I have put on my car(this set of rims anyway). And i have to say, I AM SOOO GLAD!!! I will never ever skimp on tires again. They make such a world of a difference its amazing.

BTW to the OP. Your taking a risk with walmart tires. Although they say Goodyear on them. They are a walmart specific tire and are truely not made as well as all other goodyears(hence the cheapness). They are more than likely Kelly tires rebranded with goodyear to sell easier.
Advise: Go to your local Goodyear tire and service center. They may possibly have a discontinued set of tires still in stock that they are selling cheaper than normal. Or a set of tires that goodyear/dunlop made too many of in stock.
They still have a rebate going on sets of 4 tires that varies from set to set and doubles under certain circumstances.
This should also work for other Brands as well.

Hope ya get what ya need man. Do a little more looking. It will pay off.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
I've got a set of Coopers and a set of Hankook snows on my wagon.
Coopers are now worn out, 60k miles on them, snows are at 5/32, new was 12/32 tread. They have 38k on them so it looks like it's new shoes for the lady next month.
Snows get rotated to the rear in the spring, back up in the fall.
I'll buy either one of them again, wear and price were great.
No Badyear tires for me, never had good luck with them.
Got BFG AT T/A on my truck, great winter traction but balance issues with the last two sets I've had. They do last 60k miles though.
BFG TA KO's that were OEM on my Mustang were lousy, noisy and were gone at 30k.
Traction started dropping off at the half wear mark dramaticlly. I think I'm done with BFG, price doesn't justify the performance on the 'stang and balance issues on the truck have turned me off.
Mustang has Hankooks on it now, $50 per tire cheaper, no tire noise and grip is equal sideways and forward. Time will tell as the only have 1k miles on them.
Co. van has had several sets of Dunplops on it, a few sets where OK, the others poor with balance issues, Dumbplops are not on my personal vehicle list.
That's my tire story.........

·
Registered
10,952 Posts

I have posted this elsewhere.

If you are really into this, go to any large parking lot and walk around and look for cars with newer tires and see the size of the wheel weights. Good tires need little balancing. Of course only on cars with alloys. Steel rims are out of balance by nature. Steel is not round, and not balanced. Alloy are machined round and balanced. So amount of balance on alloy is nearly always the tire.

OK, my '02 Lin cont has weights from 5g to 15g. Largest is ~half ounce.
40K miles on the tires, Michelin MXV4. And I believe the factory gets the pick of the best from suppliers. Walmart gets left overs. Just my op.

But on my '03 Sable bought used this spring, it had GY Assurance and they had up to 2oz weights.

Just looking at outside only of course.

-chart-

·
Registered
81 Posts
^ while this may be true. Its not how it always happens my man. Alloys may be closer to being 0/0 when they come out of the factory, but youde be surprised at the amount of misballance coming from only a second set of tires.
Had a guy with an '10 mitsu Lancer. He bought his second set of tires from us. His alloy was misballanced and had over 6oz of weight on it, from the factory. We took that much weight off his rim and had to add close to that back on.

And did you say your car has 15grams of weight on it?!?!? WTF!! There should be no more than an oz or 2 on each rim... LOL thats crazy dude.

And walmart gets leftovers that arent up to normal quality and the name is changed on the tire so as they cannoy be associated with the normal good quality tires put out by each brand. So yea you are right lol.

Hancooks should not be on any mustang or high end car. Personally they are junk and I dont trust them even on my taurus or someone elses crap car.

And if anyone has winter ICe or snow tires, they should be taken off in the spring. I know most are only good in cold temperatures and if driven in warm weather will tear the rubber off of them much quicker and shorten the life a whole lot faster.

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
^ while this may be true. Its not how it always happens my man. Alloys may be closer to being 0/0 when they come out of the factory, but youde be surprised at the amount of misballance coming from only a second set of tires.
Had a guy with an '10 mitsu Lancer. He bought his second set of tires from us. His alloy was misballanced and had over 6oz of weight on it, from the factory. We took that much weight off his rim and had to add close to that back on.

And did you say your car has 15grams of weight on it?!?!? WTF!! There should be no more than an oz or 2 on each rim... LOL thats crazy dude.

And walmart gets leftovers that arent up to normal quality and the name is changed on the tire so as they cannoy be associated with the normal good quality tires put out by each brand. So yea you are right lol.

Hancooks should not be on any mustang or high end car. Personally they are junk and I dont trust them even on my taurus or someone elses crap car.

And if anyone has winter ICe or snow tires, they should be taken off in the spring. I know most are only good in cold temperatures and if driven in warm weather will tear the rubber off of them much quicker and shorten the life a whole lot faster.
RE
"And did you say your car has 15grams of weight on it?!?!? WTF!!"

Yes, 15g = .52 oz.

And most alloys are true to a few grams when new. After some potholes they may be off but not it they are good quality and design. They even take into account the weight of the valve stem.

-chart-

1 - 20 of 25 Posts