Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find some parts, and craigslist isn't much of a help. I'm planning on building a rolling chassis to fit my 1990 Taurus SHO that will hold a 5.0L V8. Yes, it will be RWD. My problem so far is finding a working engine/trans assembly. If anyone knows of a junkyard in OK with working parts, let me know...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Doubt you will find a chassis that small, the smallest you might find is from a ranger or an explorer, and also remember you will have to build a tunnel for the drivetrain, and the steering would have to be completely reworked.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Ford Modular engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
292 hp (218 kW) and 315 lb·ft (427 N·m)

I am not sure where a Explorer 302 with GT40P heads ends up. 210-235HP?

To work on... I saw the crammed 4.6L and won't want do deal with any of it :D
You are talking about the 4v 4.6 with those numbers. 2v numbers are more like 215/280, (or at least that's what my 96 Tbird numbers are). It all depends on the year/platform it was put in because of the differences in exhaust and stock tunes. If I was looking for a 2v I would DEFINATELY be looking for a PI(performance improved, not police interceptor) motor. They have better heads, larger intake manifold ports, I believe bigger exhaust ports, and a different cam grind and will get about 20-25 more horses in stock form as compaired to a NPI. Once my motor goes in the bird(or I get a fatter wallet) it will probibly become a blown 2v PI. :wub:

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Some one already did it with the SHO engine and got it to work. They then later flipped the car because a weld broke and they lost control.

You can do the same thing with a SHO engine and a rear wheel drive transmission and still get the same horse power numbers. The SHO engine was meant for RWD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts