Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 6 months of odd steering and bringing it to 2 different mechanics to check the tie rods or ball joints with no problems found, i have finally discovered the cause of my problem.....brought it in to a third shop now and well they were checking the front end they discovered that my sub-frame had cracked :(, its has broken free from the part that attaches to the bushing.......i got my neighbor coming over to see if we might be able to weld something onto it to hold, what do you think? is it repairable?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
I suppose it could be welded using gusset plates all over the place, but doing it right requires removing the subframe. Might as well get a good subframe at the JY and replace the cracked one. Hardest part will be supporting the engine / tranny during the replacement.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, my buddy said it looks like its been hit by something a long time ago and the crack finally gave out, it does have rust but its not what caused it to break off he said, the other side is solid he said, so were trying to find a welder who is willing to fix it, so if someone welds it and it snaps down the road whats the worst thing that could happen to me?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
As stated already, don't waste your time and money finding someone to weld it. There are plent to be found in the auto wreckers that will be perfectly fine.

If someone welds it and breaks down the road, well, you wasted a lot of time and effort.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont have the funds to buy a part or the know how to do that much work or the place to even do the work if i knew how :( Hence why im asking if it looks like it could be saved by welding which would save me lots of money :) thanks for info and help :)

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
For it to be properly welded, the subframe would have to come away from the car. And in the area the damage is, I would opt for replacing the subframe. I think a weld would only be temporary. The worst that can happen down the road is it fails and you lose control causing a crash. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tip ;) also i got quoted for the labor it would cost me around 1500 then the cost of the frame and taxes.....does that sound about right?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Thanks for the tip ;) also i got quoted for the labor it would cost me around 1500 then the cost of the frame and taxes.....does that sound about right?
I looked up the time on an 03 (wasn't sure of your year), and it's 6.5hrs according to Mitchell. At $90/hr that's $585 for labour and the subframes are fairly cheap at the wreckers around my area, so I think under $1,000 for everything isn't unreasonable?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
90 an hour? in my town its 65 an hour 6 hours would be a lot better then 15, i was thinking of taking it to a ford dealership to see what they would charge, the problem is its my only car and i have no way into town which is 15k from me so i would have to drive this thing around look and the way it drives like this is just to wobbly to feel safe in.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Similar issue is why I junked my 94 Wagon.
I would just buy another $500 Taurus, but that's just me.
(PS, nice Doors reference)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You thought about checking Craigslist or Kijijij to see if there is a mobile mechanic or a help wanted ad for an ASE certified dude to come out and give you a hand?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Freakin salt! Hate it on my food and on my cars!!!
Even if he fixes the subframe, it looks pretty rusted around where it mounts to the unibody, I bet it'll look something like mine did in a few years:

You might want to inject that area full of oil, it does tend to rot out. It might be a good idea to oil coat the entire car once you fix it, to keep it from rusting so quickly. Spring is nearly here and that's probably the best time to do it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I cant find any junk yards that are in my area plus i dont have a car to get to the junkyards to look for parts, im kind of at the mercy of the mechanic,im going to call around on monday and see if theres anywhere that will replace it cheaper then the other guy wanted ,1500
i think the underside of my car is pretty rusted now, mostly surface rust though, i also only need the car to last me max 2 more years, after that i will have my loan paid off and i can purchase another car off a dealership lot that might be in better condition, this sucks, cause it took me a year to get the car to look better then an old granny car and now its rusted and broke....stupid fords :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had the subframe on my 00 rust out at the lower support bushing. Had a used frame put in and labor for total cost of $500. Only thing was that 10 days later got rearended and totaled the car. Lee

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
500 ,is that american or canadian? cause im from the great white north ;) if canadian, thats a great price.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Is there a place online that would sell the sub-frame? anyone got links?

Also i just found these online, are they what i think they are? sleeves? would i be able to buy something like these, then cut away the part on my sub-frame that the bushing connects to and slide these on, then bolt them in the sides and weld the **** out of them, wouldn't that work??

1 - 20 of 57 Posts