Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Mercury Sable, 182,000 miles on it. I replaced the front and rear sway bar links two days ago, and now I have a new noise coming from the front end. When I drive the car about ten or so miles it developes a creaking sound when I turn left, and right. When I get where I am going and shut the car off for about 30 minutes, it goes away again until I drive for another ten or so miles then it starts making the noise again. I have replaced the following parts in the past year...

Ball Joints both sides,
Coil Springs all four,
Sway Bar Links all except the driver side front, it moves, but does not seem loose. Does not seem to make any noise,
Rotors, and Pads both sides front,
Checked...
Power steering fluid, still full, and red,
Sway bar links to make sure there is no play,
Tie rods for play,
Ball Joints for play,
CV joints for play, and boot tears.

All of the above things I checked seem fine to me. When I checked the tie rods, meaning hands at 3, and 9 oclock, it seemed as though there is no play, but when I did the steering wheel, although in the locked position, was turning while I was moving the tire. I have no idea why.
I am not sure if the sound goes away at highway speeds because I usually do not have to turn the wheels far enough to make the noise at those speeds. I can say with certainty that the steering is tight, and the alignment seems perfect. If I get the car going straight I can let go of the wheel for miles, and it will stay straight. If anyone has any idea what it could be I would greatly appreciate help so I can keep this only transportation going for my family.:huh: Thank you all in advance for your help with this problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it a creaking, whining, hissing, grinding? How's your power steering fluid look?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1 sounds like either old rubber creaking or new hardened compound creaking.
Sounds like an old and very heavy wooden door creaking.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you checked your strut bearings?
This is actually where I was leaning towards. Unfortunatley I have never done this before, could you maybe post some instructions how to check them? I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you listen over the strut towers. You can also use a stethescope to aid. Another thing I've done to check strut bearings and elimilate tie rods, is to remove the tie rod from the steering knuckle and turn the wheel (tire) side to side by hand. If you it's hard to turn or feels really rough while moving, then it's a good time to change it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you listen over the strut towers. You can also use a stethescope to aid. Another thing I've done to check strut bearings and elimilate tie rods, is to remove the tie rod from the steering knuckle and turn the wheel (tire) side to side by hand. If you it's hard to turn or feels really rough while moving, then it's a good time to change it.
Thank you for the quick reply, I appreciate the help. I had another car that had bad bearings in the struts, but it was making the steering feel way different, like not returning to position on it's own after a sharp corner, and traveling a little to the right. This car is doing none of those things.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2001 Mercury Sable, 182,000 miles on it. I replaced the front and rear sway bar links two days ago, and now I have a new noise coming from the front end. When I drive the car about ten or so miles it developes a creaking sound when I turn left, and right. When I get where I am going and shut the car off for about 30 minutes, it goes away again until I drive for another ten or so miles then it starts making the noise again. I have replaced the following parts in the past year...

Ball Joints both sides,
Coil Springs all four,
Sway Bar Links all except the driver side front, it moves, but does not seem loose. Does not seem to make any noise,
Rotors, and Pads both sides front,
Checked...
Sway bar links to make sure there is no play,
Tie rods for play,
Ball Joints for play,
CV joints for play, and boot tears.

All of the above things I checked seem fine to me. When I checked the tie rods, meaning hands at 3, and 9 oclock, it seemed as though there is no play, but when I did the steering wheel, although in the locked position, was turning while I was moving the tire. I have no idea why.
I am not sure if the sound goes away at highway speeds because I usually do not have to turn the wheels far enough to make the noise at those speeds. I can say with certainty that the steering is tight, and the alignment seems perfect. If I get the car going straight I can let go of the wheel for miles, and it will stay straight. If anyone has any idea what it could be I would greatly appreciate help so I can keep this only transportation going for my family.:huh: Thank you all in advance for your help with this problem.
Just wanted to ask, I just noticed in my book that the stabilizer links I replaced are supposed to be torqued to 59 Foot Lbs, but I don't have a torque wrench, so I just tightened them until they were tight will that make them noisy, or wear prematurely?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts