Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up this 94 Taurus GL. It's all new to me. I'm not too crazy about it's color, but it was in pretty good shape with low miles.

I've done some searching on the forums here, and haven't found any answers yet, but I am sure that these have probably been brushed upon.

1. Can we relocate the fuse box away from my left foot? :angry:

2. What is UP with this headlight biosphere thing? Are there better lenses in the aftermarket?

3. Is the steering supposed to be this quirky? <_<

4. Is this a Gen II vehicle?

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Welcome! I can only address a couple questions - others with more knowledge will undoubtedly reply shortly...

Yes, you have what is considered an Gen II Taurus...As for the headlight biosphere - if it's that bad, you may want to consider taking it apart and giving it a good cleaning (there should be directions available by doing a search, or you can take the easy way out and buy new ones somewhere.

Is there a particular reason you want to relocate the fuse box? It can be done, the question is, do you have the time and patience to do it?

As for the steering, what do you mean by quirky?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Why do do have to relocate the fuse box? Its possible but it means moving bunches o wires. Please elaborate on this "quirky" business. Just keep in mind a taurus isnt going to handle like a honda, its heavy, cruising car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your timely responses and welcomings!

Let me clarify some. B)

About the fuse box. It's in a terrible location. I'm 6'1", so I like to stretch that leg a little farther. I'm not talking about a major relocation, just out of big foots way.

The steering quirkyness?It seems to drift over into other lanes at highway speeds and stubbornly so if you don't watch it. Seems like understeer to me. On the other hand, taking a corner, it does wonderfully. I've recently had a Crown Vic and a Mazda, so, maybe I just need to get used to Taurus mannerisms.

About the headlight biosphere? I threw that one out there hoping for some response about fixes to the nuisance or knowledge of aftermarket replacement. All I can see for now are droplets inside it, nothing real major bad.
Maybe a rubber gasket or plumbers tape around the inserted bulb base could help.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Welcome to the club!

About the fusebox, do you mean it's hanging down under the dash? It should be up and hidden in the dash. Push that bar up and the fusebox should move and then push the fusebox up.

The steering problem is probably an alignment issue. Does it move over quickly? Or does it gradually move over?

And the headlights, you should just replace the assembly if it's leaking.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the Club!

Hi, you are blessed with a Generation 2 Taurus. Which are years 92-95.

The years go as stated:

Gen1: 86-91
Gen2: 92-95
Gen3: 96-99 <---My Generation
Gen4: 00-04

SableSal

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
maby something is the front end is a loose like a tierod or balljoint.

do yuo know how to check them?

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you're going to replace the headlights, you should go for the clear ones like this. These come on the 94-95 LX and the 95 SE.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Sep 6 2004, 08:15 PM
...About the fusebox, do you mean it's hanging down under the dash? It should be up and hidden in the dash. Push that bar up and the fusebox should move and then push the fusebox up.
Holy Schmolly, I guess I am. I'm going to do this immediat...

Yep, that was it. This validates forums such as this. This also allows me to eat my own disgruntled thoughts about what I thought was a poorly placed fuse box. So shoot me.

My left foot thanks you too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by red92gl@Sep 6 2004, 09:01 PM
If you're going to replace the headlights, you should go for the clear ones like this.  These come on the 94-95 LX and the 95 SE.
Thank you, thank you, and....thank you. :banana:

It says LX, but would cover my GL right? I mean, what could possibly be different in the headlight area.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by somedude@Sep 6 2004, 08:34 PM
maby something is the front end is a loose like a tierod or balljoint.

do yuo know how to check them?
From one dude to another. I'm going to check into it more. Due to the stubborn or slow willingness to allow me to right it back over where I want it, ....who knows. Hand me another beer over here. Again, this is at highway speeds I've noticed this.

I'm thinking there could be some damage under there. I highly suspect a drivers side accident may have been in this cars history. The drivers door doesn't shut right and I have noticed the lower half of a fender on that side that is partially off

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Sep 6 2004, 08:15 PM

The steering problem is probably an alignment issue. Does it move over quickly? Or does it gradually move over?
On the freeway there's a particular curve I have to watch out for or I'll be partially into the next lane. When caught off guard and try to get it back in my lane, there's not an immediate reaction to my action.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, I'd take it to an honest body shop and have them take a look at that front end. It could be something really simple: who knows?!
And while you're there, why not throw a new coat of paint on it!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Originally posted by driverdude+Sep 7 2004, 10:30 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (driverdude @ Sep 7 2004, 10:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-red92gl@Sep 6 2004, 09:01 PM
If you're going to replace the headlights, you should go for the clear ones like this.  These come on the 94-95 LX and the 95 SE.

It says LX, but would cover my GL right? I mean, what could possibly be different in the headlight area. [/b][/quote]
Yeah they'll fit any non-SHO Taurus between 92-95.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Definitely get the cystalline headlight assemblies (also called "Discoballs"). They look great with a set of Sylvania Silverstar headlights. The headlights themselves are about $40 from Autozone (I think the Gen II uses 9007 bulbs, same as the Gen III). As for the lense assemblies, you can probably get them much cheaper on eBay!

JR

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by TheGreatZambini@Sep 7 2004, 10:49 AM
... why not throw a new coat of paint on it!
Were you thinking a better color, like me?

The paint that's on there, forgetting the color, has held up nicely.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Originally posted by driverdude+Sep 7 2004, 08:30 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (driverdude @ Sep 7 2004, 08:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-red92gl@Sep 6 2004, 09:01 PM

It says LX, but would cover my GL right? I mean, what could possibly be different in the headlight area. [/b][/quote]
Yes, you can swap them, but I've heard some members complain about the clips or something. I have a Sable, so I wouldn't know.

They do make somewhat of a difference:

B

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the TCCA! You've come to the right place to make your Taurus into something you'll be happy with.

All the other questions were answered, so I'll stick to the steering. I'd get it checked into ASAP. It definitely sounds like something's not right in there.

Also, go to ford.com, and go into the recall section. Enter your VIN, and see if any recalls come up. There were recalls on the subframe bushings, and some cars were not done. This could also cause the wandering problems you're talking about.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts