Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Mercury Sable GS [with, of course, a Vulcan engine} has never put out any heat from the heater. I did my research on this site, and decided it was a clogged heater core.

So I drained all the antifreeze out at the bottom of the radiator, {I have changed the antifreeze twice before, in the 30,000 miles I have owned it because I read here, about vulcan rusting problems}, and disconnected the end of the hose where it comes out of the engine on the driver's side, and also disconnected the hose where the water flows OUT OF the heater core through the firewall. {I figured it would only work if I reversed the flow and pushed the offending stuff back out of the top of the heater core}.

Then I connected one end of a new piece of heater hose {I got at Auto Zone} up to the outbound pipe I had just removed the second hose from, and installed a hose connector and an on/off control to the other end and then hooked my house hose up to it.

Lastly, I put a pair of needle nose vice grips [with rubber tubing over the jaws} on the "bypass tube" to keep the flow from going back into the engine, and pushed the first hose I disconnected from the engine [drivers side] downward so the water would go into a pan under the car.

I couldn't have removed the heater hose, if I hadn't removed the air cleaner and the throttle body and the EGR valve already, to replace the EGR tube, the BPFE sensor and to clean the throttle body.

Then I just turned the water on, slowly at first, and watched the CRAP come out of the hose at the other end. By the time I had finished I had turned the water up all the way, {I have a well, so "all the way" is not as much pressure as most residential houses have}.

After that I removed the new hose from the heater connection and reconnected the hose going to the heater core. Then I went over to the drivers side and hooked up the house hose to that hose and removed the pliers on the bypass hose, and flushed the whole system for 2-3 minutes, and more stuff came out. LOL

After I buttoned up the system, I left the radiator drain open, started the car, and put 3 gallons of distilled water through the system to flush the hard well water out. I then let all the water drain out of the radiator and tightened the drain, and put a gallon of 100% antifreeze in, and finished filling it up with distilled water.

Or course, my heater now puts out gobs of hot air, and I am very happycamper.

Oh, by the way, I had had a cylinder missing when the car was cold, and it pulled a P0401 code, so that is why I was working on the EGR system, the EGR valve tested good, but the EGR tube was rusted, {boy, were those nuts on the bottom of the EGR valve, and where the EGR tube connects to the exhaust manifold a real PITA, I had to heat them both for a long time to get them to loosen up} and I was pretty sure the BPFE sensor was causing the P0401 code so I replaced it with a cheap Chinese copy. BUT, while fixing the EGR tube, I noticed one of the spark plug wires was burnt from touching the exhaust manifold!!! So, with a new set of spark plug wires, a new BPFE sensor, a new EGR tube, a clean throttle body, and a flushed heater core, my Sable is purring like a kitten again, and I am warm again.

Thank you all for keeping this site going, so new Taurus and Sable owners can learn how to maintain their cars.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,502 Posts
Good job! Might want to flush the core every couple years to keep the heater working at top efficiency.

Reactions: philharmonic

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Looks likes Dexcool snot from mixing coolants. Hopefully you used a chemical flush and the correct coolant which is G-05.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks likes Dexcool snot from mixing coolants. Hopefully you used a chemical flush and the correct coolant which is G-05.
I think this is just rust in the engine block from the PO not changing the coolant enough. It's sure rust colored. The antifreeze that was in it when I got it was pretty rusty, so I really don't know what was in there. I do know that I got on this forum as soon as I got it, became aware of the rust problem, and promptly drained it, flushed it out with about 8 gallons of distilled water, and installed standard yellow AF, and I have done this twice more in the 28,000 miles I have owned it. Of course that did NOT help the heater core, only backflushing helps the heater core. LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts