Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have checked the forums for a similar problem but everyone else seems to have no brake lights or the brake lights will not go off. My third brake light on an 05 Sable wagon just doesn't go on when I hit the brakes. Took the light off the car and inspected the bulbs. They were fine so I reinstalled them with some dielectric grease to make sure they would not corrode although all the metal looked fine (no rust). Since the regular brake lights work fine I believe the problem must be in the ground wire between the lights and the car body where it connects? Has anyone had a similar problem and if so where was the problem?

·
Registered
76 Posts
HEY nice to see another wagon owner. anyways i had a problem with my rear door lock in my wagon and it turned out to be broken wires shorting out in the wires where the wiring harness crosses from the hatch into the body of the car at an elbow. the wires flexed back and forth so many times that the insulation on them cracked. Long story short the first thing i would do if i was you is check the fuses in the fuse box. if nothing is wrong there, head to a auto parts store and pick up a really cheap 12 volt tester. it's got a LED on it and lights up when 12 volts is present. basically take out a bulb and have someone step on the brake pedal for you. IF this doesn't work, you may have to resort to removing both the top and bottom interior covers on the hatch. if you pull the "rubber boot" that covers the wires in the door sill between the hatch and the top of the car, you will also see where the wires have possibly broken. When i pulled mine apart i found that most of the wires were damaged and some of them had already melted together. It was a a wonder anything like the speakers, rear wiper or defrost lines worked at all. every electrical object on the hatch runs through either the left or the right "corrigated rubber boot" conecting the hatch to the body of the car.
hope some of this info helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts