Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Mercury Sable DOHC
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
I've managed to save money by fixing my third brake light for 2003 Sable, and I thought I'd share. I found it around $40 on ebay, but I decided to check first and see if there's anything I can do. It was completely dead.
The following will take about 20 minutes.
1. Removed the light carefully from the car (gently pry up and towards you)
2. Disconnect the connector
3. With the assembly on the bench, gently pry it apart.

4. Separate the LED circuit board from its housing (comes up easily).

5. Given my previous (limited) experience with electronics, I decided to test the only one diode first, given that none of the LED's worked. There is only one, right in the middle of the board, close to the power connectors. Easy to identify - it's black with a silver ring. Spot on! It was burnt (How to test a diode with a voltmeter)
Make sure to remember on which side the silver ring is and connect the new diode in the same position.

6. I had an old TV main board that I kept for the odd electronic spare part, and I was able to find a number of diodes on that board. They should be 12V rated, and I am not sure that the ones on my board were, but it worked for now. I'll go ahead and order one on Amazon to be sure it's the right volatge. You can buy it at Radioshack, order it on Ebay or Amazon. ($6 for a 10 pack)

7. replaced the one on the light, and ta-daaaa! I saved me $40! (If you are wondering what is the rectangular stuff in the last pic, it's a flasher module for the center brake light - 3 times fast, 3 times slow, then solid)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I can see you love to tinker with things! I have the luxury of having a U Pull JY not far from home and would have gone there to pick one up for under $10. However, like you, I love to take things apart to see if they can be repaired. I did a similar repair to a 5 yr old flat screen t.v. that I felt still had some good life left in it if I could only find what defective electrical component was causing it to turn off after a few minutes. Googled the symptoms and learned that this particular model was notorious for blowing out capacitors. Found the bad one, picked up new one at Radio Shack (when they still had stores around) and replaced it. Voila...back in service! And, I learned a little something about electronics as a result.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Excellent work and thank you for sharing.

Reactions: Andrei and sheila
1 - 3 of 3 Posts