Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my third brake light went out on my 2007 Taurus, simple enough right? So I replaced it with a new one. This however did not fix the problem? The third brake light still doesn’t work. Ok so that leads me to the fuse. I check under the steering column for fuse #17 15a, light blue. It looked fine, but I still replaced it. Still no third break light. I’m incredibly confused on this, and really need that light working before my car needs inspected again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Do you have a multimeter? You could check for continuity between where the fuse is and the wires for the connector that give the brakelight power, whilst the brake pedal is pressed. If no continuity, chase some wires down lol.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
Is the third brake light LED or incandescent bulbs?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, been a busy day. I have a multimeter but I don’t really know how to use it (one of the few tools a don’t know how to use), also the tbl is LED

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
First thing to do is jumper the TBL to the battery (being aware of positive to positive, negative to negative as LEDs are polarity sensitive) and see if the TBL works.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I put the multimeter to “2000k ohms” and put the + on the + marked connector, and the - on the - marked connected on both sets of lights, and they both read “195”

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
The ohm readings for LEDs means nothing. LEDs are pn junctions and have a highly non linear voltage vs current characteristics. Measuring ohms only has meaning when measuring devices that have a linear volts vs current relationship, which, by the way, is the definition of a resistor.

As I stated above, jumper the LED brake light directly to the battery and see if it lights up.

Also, checking power circuits with a DMM set on Volts means nothing as the DMM draws nearly zero current from the voltage source. ALWAYS use a test light to test power circuits.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I directly hooked them both up to the battery and found that the replacement I bought was toasted aswell. I’m just going to make a new one with a flexible led strip and some solder XD

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Just get a replacement 3rd brake light at the JY. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am wondering how this worked out for you in the long term. If it is still working i d like info on what to buy and what you did...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts