Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have had a 93 GL with a 3.0 engine since 1994. Currently I am using it as a daily driver, with 170,000 miles on it. Over the decades I have had to do the following: Replaced starter around 100K, replaced tie rod ends due to annoying squeaking (Moogs have zerk fittings,) replaced broken section of parking brake cable, replaced broken thermostat (yes, broken in two!), replaced power steering pump, replaced stop lamp switch on brake pedal, replaced fuel pump relay control module in the 1990's. I recently replaced the front headlight housings because the originals were taking on rainwater. Pair of Ford OEM on eBay was less than $ 100. Water pump was replaced at 110,000, idler and tensioner at same time. Serpentine belt gets the winter squeakies every 6-7 years and has to be replaced. A/C needs a charge and is still R-12, but I have 12 as well as all the A/C recovery and recharge machines. The front oxygen sensor only lasts about 5 years depending on the brand. The OEM Ford one I found on eBay has lasted 3 years so far. No idea what that is about - - the rear is the original one. Getting some tiny rust spots around the front and rear windshield trim, and the clearcoat on the paint has gone bad.
That's about it, and in 170,000 miles, that's not bad at all. I change the transmission fluid every 40,000 miles or so. I always use Ford OEM parts whenever I can, usually very cheap on eBay.
This car gets 35-38 mpg on California highways, I kid you not. I am looking for another one with low mileage near me because these are a great car. You will not impress girls with one but that may be a good thing. These are the antidote to marriage and effective gold-digger repellant.
Most of these will have somewhat noisy power steering pumps, it's just the nature of the thing.
This is a great car for someone who is savvy and does their own work, and keeps on top of maintenance. I would expect the corner auto repair place to ruin one for you in short order. You will need an EEC IV code reader, the shop manuals, and some special tools you can make.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I want to thank everyone for all of their help, I really appreciate it.

So this car is 140 miles away from where I live, I am highly considering taking the ride out there to see the car, from what I have seen its been very well taken care of, everything words, there is some rust, but it can be taken care of. It is no chick magnet, however its current color is faded sky blue, and I am definitely going to repaint the vehicle, tint the windows, add a stereo, and give it a full tune up with new spark plugs etc. I have a buddy that works for a major parts company, and can help me out with parts, so since you guys helped me out, I can try and help you out.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts