Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so I was looking to get a good gas-saving around town car, and I found an older guy, the original owner, of a 93 Taurus GL with 50k miles. I was doing my research online, and feel like the consensus is the engine is great, the V6 3.0, by the trans is bad and will go out.

Does anyone know more about this model, and anything I should worry about or look for? Honestly if this vehicle turns out to be what I think it is, it could be the last car I ever buy.

·
Super Moderator
8,129 Posts
The A4XS and the A4XN / 4F50N have a bad rap, but I am convinced this is due to lack of maintenance. I change the fluid every 25K to 30K miles and add tranny coolers to all my automatic tranny cars, and new filters every other fluid change. Never had any issues with any auto transmissions in any cars I have owned over the last 46 years, and a number of these cars have been significantly modded and put out significantly more HP and torque than the factory ever intended.

The 25 year old A4XS in my 95 Vulcan winter beater still shifts like new.

Reactions: kekaye56 and sheila

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ever had any issues with any auto transmissions in any cars I have owned over the last 46 years,
Same here, thats why I wanted to get some info from people that know this c
Sorry,a bit far for me to come look.
No worries, anything specific I should look for? I am expecting things related to age, I just want to make sure the motor still runs strong, and transmission runs smooth

·
Registered
293 Posts
Same here, thats why I wanted to get some info from people that know this c

No worries, anything specific I should look for? I am expecting things related to age, I just want to make sure the motor still runs strong, and transmission runs smooth
One of the best indicators are maintenance records that show it was maintained by the same mechanic/same facility for a long time. When I go to a bunch of different places, they’re just shopping for price.

50,000 miles, it’s got less than 2000 miles per year. It’s got 35 miles per week on it. This was either a second car, third car, or the odometer’s been rolled back/replaced. Check the maintenance records to see if it shows higher mileage at some point.

If it’s got rust from Wisconsin, that is most likely your highest priced issue. Unless you are a body guy and a mechanic, I would take it to and auto body shop if you’re planning to keep this for a while. Find out how extensive the rust is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a '95 with the 3.0 Vulcan, and AX4S transaxle. At 180,000 miles, I don't know that I'd say it shifts like new, but it shifts easily, without slipping.

I've had a '91 Sable, a '90 Taurus, a '98 Sable, and now this '95. I also frequently drove a '98 Taurus for a while. The only one that I haven't really had on the highway was the '95. The others were all comfortable highway cars, and well mannered (except the '91 Sable didn't like twisty roads very much). None were 100% trouble free, to be honest. However, I wouldn't hesitate buying another one.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Had a 1993 Taurus and it was a fine car, better than any one of my three later Taurus. Trans did go out at 254K miles because the forward piston gets cracks in it and loses hydraulic pressure. Just had to do water pump and a silicon hose to the EGR sensor over 17 years. Struts, springs, fuel pump and all other items other than brakes were all original. That and my 1990 Taurus was what convinced me to stay with Ford. My 2001s and 2006 convinced me to give Ford up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sounds like the 3.0 Vulcan engine is what I am looking for, how can I tell if it is that model? I will have the person check before I go there.

·
Super Moderator
8,129 Posts
I would stay away from the 3.8L Essex engine. Not on e of Fords better ideas. The 3.0 L Vulcan is the preferred engine, IMO.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would stay away from the 3.8L Essex engine. Not on e of Fords better ideas. The 3.0 L Vulcan is the preferred engine, IMO.
I heard there was a way you could mod the head gaskets on the 3.8 so it wouldn't have issues. Was there any other problems with that engine besides the head gaskets?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So after all the research I've donw, the Vulcan sounds indestructible if its maintained. Is there anyway I can ask this guy to find out for me? I can he tell if its a Vulcan?

·
Registered
153 Posts
So after all the research I've donw, the Vulcan sounds indestructible if its maintained. Is there anyway I can ask this guy to find out for me? I can he tell if its a Vulcan?
I've heard that some people have gotten 500,000 miles out of their 3.0 Vulcan engines. That's how indestructible they are.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
If it was garaged should be no problem, plenty of parts on Rockauto and also at LKQ pull your parts yards.
Looks like the OP could eat off that engine, very clean. Check the glass, look at the logos, should all be Ford, good indication if it was hit or busted into.
I've got two '99's one with ax4s and ax4n, wagon has recent third transmission, sable has second. I put them in myself.
244K on the sable and 298K on the taurus wagon. Just keep the oil changed and use quality filters and good gas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Phoenix, Az, the car is from Wisconsin so it has a little rust on the side panels.
where in wisconsin? the trans is fine the vulcan eng is good but gaskets suck so fixing leaks of coolant and oil is a chore. but, at low miles like that maybe not.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts