Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been browsing around looking for something newer to roll around in for awhile. I came across a 2002 Ford Taurus SES Deluxe i was thinking about and here are some info about it :

134,000 Miles
Duratec
Spoiler
CD player
Adjustable pedals
sunroof
cloth bucket seats
etc.

The car has some flaws though like :

No key fob :(
Back left door a bit dented
Interior dirty
right handle slightly broken (goes in further than it should)
Bumper a bit scraped up
Bald tires
needs alignment

They would finance the car for 1200 down and 260 a month for 24 months.
Does this seem like a bad idea to do? I drove it and it seems to drive okay checked oil and trans fluid, coolant all seem to be okay. heres a pic..

·
Registered
367 Posts
That end up being like $7400 correct? Way too expensive.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry Its only for 18 Months! so 260 for 18 months. which would take it to $4680 + $1200 = $5880. This place also is also like a buy here pay here deal. You take them your down payment and you pay every month no credit check or loan at all. I'm a bit torn. I do agree it is a little high.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Sorry Its only for 18 Months! so 260 for 18 months. which would take it to $4680 + $1200 = $5880. This place also is also like a buy here pay here deal. You take them your down payment and you pay every month no credit check or loan at all. I'm a bit torn. I do agree it is a little high.
What's the interest? There's always interest.

Welcome to the used car business. This place is where poor people go to get a 'rent to own' car, in my opinion these places are nothing but leeches and that's pretty much what they do. The car isn't worth what they're asking, but that wouldn't matter to someone who can't afford it upfront anyway and takes the payment route, they know that, they get more money this way.

If you can get them down to a reasonable price, then finance it through them, but don't get screwed up the rear because you can't afford to pay upfront.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Don't just walk away, run away! Bald tires, and the other issues you described means that car was not maintained very well, if at all. With 134k, I would be surprized if the trans fluid was changed at all, or ever, along with cooling system flushes, oil changes, etc. Most buy here, pay here dealerships are way overpriced, sell poorly maintained cars that are likely to be repos, or auctioned off rejects from larger dealers. They also do not report to credit bureaus, so forget about building your credit. Look for a private owned car, or a larger dealer.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
No key fob - They should include a new one, it's a standard feature and it would help sell the car.
Back left door a bit dented - dramatic decrease in price
Interior dirty - Dealers should detail any car that goes on their lot, if they don't, what does that say about them?
right handle slightly broken (goes in further than it should) - Should be fixed
Bumper a bit scraped up - Not nice looking, but acceptable. It tells you the person who owned it was a bad driver.
Bald tires - In my country, a car that you sell safetied and certified must come with tires that have an acceptable amount of tread left. A bank wouldn't finance an unfit, or un-safetied car. Why would they?
needs alignment - They should align it before it's put on the lot.

All fluids should be changed by the dealer before it's sold.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
You need to learn how to be a **** with sales people. I'd say it's obvious that you haven't learned that yet, because the price would have dropped dramatically from where it is, or you wouldn't consider it after being kicked off their property. They need your business more than you need theirs. :lol2:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the input guys. believe it or not i have talked them down in price they wanted to sell it for $7K! i must have talked with the guy at the lot for an hour trying to get him down to $1000 down $180/$200 a month. It was from a "popular" place in toledo called nationwide auto finance inc, your down payment was your approval...you can google them and see what im talking about. Yea all the problems that i listed are all things are argued for yet the guy was insisting that was all he could do which was ridiculous. I myself, just like JW657 said, believe all these things should be fixed at all before they start selling, Especially at $7k! I was hoping for a miracle of some sort i guess.

I'm about 99.9% sure im ditching these shady people. looking within the area i found an olive green 02 sable ls premium for 5995 with 69,000Miles on her, car is immaculate. I think i've found my right route.

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
^ JW, were you saying theres an 06 near you for around $7000 or $2500? Curious, because i was looking at a slightly hail-damaged (roof only) salvage title 07 for $3900. 90k mi.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
^ JW, were you saying theres an 06 near you for around $7000 or $2500? Curious, because i was looking at a slightly hail-damaged (roof only) salvage title 07 for $3900. 90k mi.
Sorry, I looked at my post and it seems a little confusing. The car he's talking about would be worth around $2500 in my area. There's an 06 (90% sure, might be an 07) for around $6,000. I can't remember the exact price, I drive by it like everyday but it has been covered in snow so you can't see the details written on the windshield very well. I want to say the exact price was $5,700 but I'm really not sure.

It's a greenish brown colour I think, alloy rims and it's in very good condition from the looks of it.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
My local ford dealer has a few of these cars.

They have an 04, 75,000 miles. Silver. $5,900. It's in near perfect shape, I've seen it like 30 times in person. They also have another 04 with the same miles for $8,000 (24v). They've been sitting there for more than a year and a half, so I'm sure they are willing to take offers on them, they've even moved them to the back lot because they just can't sell them.

That's from an actual Ford dealer and they can't even sell it for those prices.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts