Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 3 years I think it's time to give her up and focus on the "new" Ranger. I'm wondering what it's worth right now. Currently, all it really needs is a front pass. window which was busted out when it got broken into. Opinions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Ohhhhhhhhhhh no you dont, he needs to keep that "new" ranger and sell me that old taurus for a couple bucks so I can park the wagon for the winter.:lol2:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I know that this Taurus will still run for quite a while but it's getting on in years and miles. My truck's a bit of a gas hog but it's newer and has MUCH less miles. Plus, I love the conventionality/reliability of it (RWD, Body on Frame, full size spare)

·
Registered
163 Posts
While looking for parts in the pull your own part junk yard, saw two 96 ish Taurus with 250,000 miles on them. Most had 120,000 to 175,000 though.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, We're not actually planning on getting rid of it until next year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm thinking about doing the same with my 98 Sable.. It has been nothing but problems. It only has 63k on it, but in the past few months I've put a good $2500-$3000 into it. Heater core is still plugged (but that's fairy cheap), and the thing that kills me is that the catalytic converter is rotted.. the assembly is a whole lot of money ($300-$400). Car has new struts all the way around, new wheel bearing, control arm, tie rod on the passenger wheel, and new balljoints on both sides.. This thing is a money pit! Suggestions?! Not trying to jack your thread :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Bought in 1/08 w/140K, currently it has 165K
Since we've had it we have replaced

overflow tank...twice (cheap POS)
the trans sensor... twice (again, cheap pos... I'm assuming)
cam sensor (No surprise there, lol)
front DS wheel bearing (again, no surprise)
DS half shaft (friend that replaced the wheel bearing F'ed it up)
starter (out of the blue)
plugs, wires, Coil (had a bad misfire, turned out to only be a bad #6 plug wire, GRR)
both cats (see above, lol)
master window control (top half of the button for the driver's window wore out)
New battery last year

Also, had the heater core flushed last fall

What it will or possibly will need in the future:

FRONT PASS. WINDOW
rotors (slightly "warped") and drums (a little grabby when wet)
Rear shocks, PS is ok, but DS is a little saggy
tires in rear
"redo" the headlights (foggy)
Heat shield for the cats is loose (basically just an annoyance)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bought in 1/08 w/140K, currently it has 165K
Since we've had it we have replaced

overflow tank...twice (cheap POS)
the trans sensor... twice (again, cheap pos... I'm assuming)
cam sensor (No surprise there, lol)
front DS wheel bearing (again, no surprise)
DS half shaft (friend that replaced the wheel bearing F'ed it up)
starter (out of the blue)
plugs, wires, Coil (had a bad misfire, turned out to only be a bad #6 plug wire, GRR)
both cats (see above, lol)
master window control (top half of the button for the driver's window wore out)
New battery last year

Also, had the heater core flushed last fall

What it will or possibly will need in the future:

FRONT PASS. WINDOW
rotors (slightly "warped") and drums (a little grabby when wet)
Rear shocks, PS is ok, but DS is a little saggy
tires in rear
"redo" the headlights (foggy)
Heat shield for the cats is loose (basically just an annoyance)
I feel your pain. My sway arm bushings have given out, so I have an incredibly annoying clunk on almost every bump. Can't wait to have to replace the cats and those bushings. That is going to be a pain

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I know that this Taurus will still run for quite a while but it's getting on in years and miles. My truck's a bit of a gas hog but it's newer and has MUCH less miles. Plus, I love the conventionality/reliability of it (RWD, Body on Frame, full size spare)
I see you live where it snows-alot! Are you sure you want to drive a rwd truck around in the snow and ice? When I lived in Montana, I drove one of the small ranch trucks (a 2wd s-10) a couple of times in the snow, and it really sucked! The back end is too light, and it took forever to get going ( it didn't take as long to get stuck in a drift). I would hang on to the Taurus, until your sure you really want to drive a small, lightweight 2wd truck around in the winter. Sandbags and snow tires only help so much.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I see you live where it snows-alot! Are you sure you want to drive a rwd truck around in the snow and ice? When I lived in Montana, I drove one of the small ranch trucks (a 2wd s-10) a couple of times in the snow, and it really sucked! The back end is too light, and it took forever to get going (but not as long as it took to get stuck in a drift). I would hang on to the Taurus, until your sure you really want to drive a small, lightweight 2wd truck around in the winter. Sandbags and snow tires only help so much.
Yeah, I have heard that too, but it does have 4 new (about a year ago) all season tires.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I have a serious offer of $500 for it. So January 1st, bye bye Taurus, I am going to miss it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts