Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 1996 taurus gl to a muffler shop just to get a ruff idea. and the guy said I need to take out the resonator or i will not get "the sound or economy" I also have heard that the taurus may need back pressure or i could lose hp. What is the correct corse of action, should i rid the resonator or just install the flowmaster as is?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
you dont lose hp per say. its more like you lose low end torque. you may not be as fast off the line but it will make a difference in the upper rpm range. the muffler shop i always use lets me see if i like it before welding everything up. tell them to just install the flowmaster and see if it works for you. if you are not happy with it tell them to cut out the resonator and clamp a pipe in its place. test it out and if you like it tell them to weld it up, if not put it back on.
it might cost you a little more that way if the shop wants to charge for the extra labor but at least you will be happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I cut out the ressy will I get the best of bolth worlds better off the line, better top end and gas mileage?

·
Registered
233 Posts
No such thing. Back-pressure, which is good for low-end torque, kills high-rpm power because the engine pushes out more exhaust gasses, the pressure builds, and starts to re-enter the cylinders and contaminate the fresh intake air, and sometimes push it back out the intake valve (in extreme cases). Low back-pressure reduces this effect, letting your engine breathe better at high RPMs, but IIRC, it lets the fresh intake air escape through the exhaust valve during cam overlap at low-rpm. The best of both worlds would consist of a complex, expensive valving system that would have to be extensively calibrated. You won't miss the low-down tq, just go with the flowmaster and smile everytime you hit the gas.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Yep, that's why all the new engines have variable cam timing...

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
But don't expect loud growl with that Flowmaster. I had super 40 way back in 08'. With resonator it was alright. Although anything over 3k rpm sounded like stock muffler. Without res, it was little bit more raspy when cold. With no res and straight pipes (thats what I have right now).... well, it sounds like a pissed of Harley at lower rpm (2.5k and below) and something closer to v8 at around 4-5K rpm. There is definite power gain at high end but lots of lost hp at lower end and you can really feel it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My system will be together this week and we will see how it goes/sounds:

- 2.5" coming off of the y-pipe
- Flowmaster Super 10 in place of the third cat
- Hushpower II resonator in place of the factory resonator

1 - 7 of 7 Posts