Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I recently found a turbo coupe close to me on craigslist, Tell me what you think about it and whether its worth it or not, I have already talked to the guy about it but have yet to see the car but here is a copy of part of the email I sent......

What is the reason for selling the car?
i baught a new truck and nead money, i baught the car and fixed it up, i wanted somehting to keep the miles of the mustangs, and get better fuel economy, just worked out that this truck kinda fell in my lap at a great price whch i couldnt turn down, soo i nead to get rid of some toys to pay for it...

Is a transferable title available and is it clean(no accidents)?

Its clean ready to transfer i have it right here on my desk.

Are there any issues with the car(rust/mechanical/electrical)?

Please be as in depth as possible and honest because we just bought a 96 thunderbird that had a transmission issue that the owner didn't mention and it would cost 3-4,000 to have it professionally replaced because even though I went to auto school I would never attempt a trans swap in my garage with no lift lol so I dont want to go through that again...

i understand the want to knows, i just spent about 700 on this one, new brake pads 4 wheels new rear calipersand brake hoses(4 wheels), air and fuel filter injector clean, throttle body clean, just replaced the alternator(used) new wipers, coolant hoses, thermostadt and coolant, ignition switch, plugs wires cap and rotor all motorcraft parts...

Neads radio, trans grinds into third if dubble clutched, works fine, makes a wierd noise, think its the water pump, made the same noise since i baught it, never changed... which i can look at and figure it out for sure...

rust is very minor only surface rust doors are solid, frame is solid, surface rust where clearcoat is missing... which you can see in the pictures

Is the car currently inspected and emissioned?

yes it is, 4/09

Thanks for any and all info you can provide, by the way if you have any other pics of the car could you please send them my way..Thanks Again

That is all of the pictures that i do have, if theres any pipctures of anyhitng in particular you woul dlike, let me know i can take some and send them too you or if you would just like to come and see it thats fine too, just let me know, id really like to move the car. but like i said if you have ?s ill give you honest answers, dont be affraid to ask...

Here is the site for which I found it....

87 Turbo Coupe

Just let me know what you guys think....I would consider getting rid of my 96 bird if it was more worth it to fix the turbo coupe than to put a new trans in the 96 and whatever else the 96 needs...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Do it. I even have a spare header panel and bumper for you.

T5s are plentiful and on the cheaper side. The clutch is hydrolic if that matters to you.

Ask him if he let the car idle before he shut it off when he parked.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Absolutely do it. Then sell me the chrome wheels off the '96! The '87 uses a 4 lug wheel if I am not mistaken, so why let the chromies go to waste? :thumb:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do it. I even have a spare header panel and bumper for you.

T5s are plentiful and on the cheaper side. The clutch is hydrolic if that matters to you.

Ask him if he let the car idle before he shut it off when he parked.
[/b]
Yeah make sure he let that Turbo cool down. Alot people do not do that.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I just sold a spare(freshly rebuilt) IHI a month ago. You're late man.

If the turbo is going just find yourself a decent T3.

It may not sound like the 4.6, but it's a lot more fun to drive I promise.

That and you need to bring it down here for me to see....so get on it my man.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
the ad was deleted what is the outcome of this?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he sold it, I was set to look at it saturday and then this morning I got an email saying a guy came with cash so he sold it, oh well I guess im keeping the 96(it only has 125k and is totally rust free because it was an arizona car) although I hope I can find something else in some ways because it cost 3-4,000 to replace the trans but im not sure its worth it, but then again....I am really undecided about this because the trans is getting worse in the 96, which is why I am starting to think about what I could get for 3-4,000, so right now I am just trying to explore all my options, so if anyone has any opinions just let me know what you think I should do...

·
Registered
681 Posts
What are you looking for? V8, V6, 4 door, 2 door, hatch? Give us more of a guide and I'll gladly suggest.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Truthfully Im not sure, I can tell you though that, I dont like hatchbacks all that much, or stationwagons, however I love trucks, cars, and suvs that are fun to drive and dont get me bored in a half hour of driving, I love driving stick, but would take an automatic if need be. I think out of all makes Ford is definitly my first choice, and i like newer (90's+) vw's and some nissians but for the price range I dont think I would find one of them plus i honestly dont think i could ever see myself driving one because Ford is really all I have ever known but then a part of me wants to see what else is out there because it seems like there are many people that drive foreign makes that they are very happy with its just that i dont know if I could ever break down and buy one. I am not a big GM fan but I like some dodges, but most of the dodges I like are not in this price range. I would like to get something different, something thats not a taurus since we have already had a total of 3 or 4, we have an f150 so not them, i have a ranger and I love driving thatbut since i already own one i dont think i would want another, we have had a couple mustangs so i dont want another one of them, we have a thunderbird so I wouldnt want another one of them either.........oh I love the sound of a v8 and i love driving a truck and being able to through stuff in the back if i want, the only thing with that is that we already have 2 trucks, none that have a v8 but both get very good fuel economy.....Hope that helps

·
Registered
681 Posts
Are you looking for something stock turn key and go sorta thing or are you willing to dump time into it?

VWs in your price range eat trannys more then the Taurus.

It sounds like you want a play thing but you want it already done.

Really sounds like you want a 302 or better swapped ranger to be honest. It's not hard to do. Or a 2.3t swapped Ranger to toy with. Both are doable with time and not much cash.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
What is wrong with the trans? Is it totally failing? How is the rest of the car? If its in good shape, I would keep the bird. You aren't going to get much for a broken trans bird at this point, you might as well fix it up. Who knows, you might find a used one that is worth putting in. My buddy has a trans with 60K from a 302 that he can't give away, there are deals you just have to look around.

Good luck,

James

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you looking for something stock turn key and go sorta thing or are you willing to dump time into it?

VWs in your price range eat trannys more then the Taurus.

It sounds like you want a play thing but you want it already done.

Really sounds like you want a 302 or better swapped ranger to be honest. It's not hard to do. Or a 2.3t swapped Ranger to toy with. Both are doable with time and not much cash.
[/b]
Hey I never thought of that, What type of ranger should I get for something like that? A pre OBD 2 ranger? I really love rangers but what about the tbird should I sell it on like craigslist or should I try and find a dealer with a ranger and just trade it?
Something like this....
ranger
or this
Other Ranger

What is wrong with the trans? Is it totally failing? How is the rest of the car? If its in good shape, I would keep the bird. You aren't going to get much for a broken trans bird at this point, you might as well fix it up. Who knows, you might find a used one that is worth putting in. My buddy has a trans with 60K from a 302 that he can't give away, there are deals you just have to look around.

Good luck,

James
[/b]
Yeah I know, Theres actually a few around me that are going for in and around 500.....all which have a bad trans, The trans itself in mine is not totally gone yet but it is definitely getting close which is why I was thinking about finding a dealer and seeing what they would give me for it, obviously I would put the stock wheels and tires on though, maybe I could find a dealer that only sells cars and doesnt know jack about cars mechanically and be able to get away with the trans going out....all gears still works but its slow shifting and the torque converter shudders in 3rd pretty bad and sometimes in 4th...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Whatever is in your price range and your preference. If you want carb thats even easier. If you want fuel injection you'll just need a computer, wiring, harness, and other random stuff. Then you have to decide if you want the V8 or the 2.3T. I'm a fanboy so you shouldn't ask me.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Yeah I know, Theres actually a few around me that are going for in and around 500.....all which have a bad trans, The trans itself in mine is not totally gone yet but it is definitely getting close which is why I was thinking about finding a dealer and seeing what they would give me for it, obviously I would put the stock wheels and tires on though, maybe I could find a dealer that only sells cars and doesnt know jack about cars mechanically and be able to get away with the trans going out....all gears still works but its slow shifting and the torque converter shudders in 3rd pretty bad and sometimes in 4th...
[/b]
You might want to flush the transmission fluid and replace it with Mercon IV. The shutter should go away after that. As for it shifting late, I am not sure if this will help or not. Its worth a try, even if you just flush it to trade it in.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[/b]
You might want to flush the transmission fluid and replace it with Mercon IV. The shutter should go away after that. As for it shifting late, I am not sure if this will help or not. Its worth a try, even if you just flush it to trade it in.
[/b]
ok i will try that, The trans slips when warm(after about 5-10mi of driving) Would this help that too? We flushed the trans once( i didnt do it but a garage did it for me and im not sure what fluid is in it right now) is it ok to do it again now with all the problems i am having...will this make it worse? When we flushed the trans before the shudder went away in 4th(it use to be really bad in 3rd and 4th) and it seems like it is just doing it in 3rd now, but every now and then it does it in 4th....oh and it also does it when shifting down from 4th to 3rd, but only right before it shifts...

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
hey if your going to do a 2.3t ranger the older pre 95 trucks where obd1 and the 96 up where obd2. now the 93-95 body style looks like the 96-97 trucks.. just the interiors are different a little bit.. With going obd1 you can straight swap the turbo coupe, merkur xr4ti, and svo mustnag 2.3t right in and use the harnesses with some repinning of the connectors and some wiring.. now as for power your only gunna go so far with the obd1 system.. if you go with an obd2 set up there is alot more tunning.. jess warren over on rps hasa 400 horse 98 2.3t ranger.. he tunes it with a an sct2 tuner. he's able to pull good power out of the stock ecu with tunes.. For a 2.3t setup in those obd2 trucks you can use your stock 2.3 motor but have to swap out the pistons.. the rest can stay stock.. so you buy an sct2 tuner, turbo pistons(out of a turbocoupe-ect) turbo manifold and turbo, bigger mass air, bigger injectors, intercooler (not needed)upgrade the clutch and your set.. jess did that on his 98 those things and at 18lbs of boost the truck made 280 whp.. pretty good if you ask me..

ryan

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys I have been debating of what I should still do about this car, and just yesterday I found another tbird not to far from me that has a 3.8 auto trans etc but has bad head gaskets supposidly, but I just got back from looking at the car and there are no signs of a bad head gasket. The owner said that there son was driving the car when it started to overheat so they took it to a ford dealer(the same one we bought our taurus from) and they said after a week of diagnosing :eek: that the head gasket was faulty. When they brought it home however it never overheated :dunno: and it never overheated for me today either as I put it through its paces :dunno: before we drove it I checked the radiator for color but there was no milky color in it just regular green and there didnt seem to be any mixing in the oil(when i looked on the dipstick), then we started it there was no sweet smell coming out of the exhaust :dunno: Is there anything else that i forgot to check for a faulty had gasket? I then went to the diagnostic port and checked for codes and the only thing I could find was a cylinder 3 misfire. Could this be where the gasket is leaking? Is it possible for a head gasket leak and not mix in with the fluids? If there isnt I really dont think its got a bad head gasket. The car does look like its due for a tune up(by looking at the very old/dirty wires). She also said that the dealer put a big dent in the driver side fender :eek: anyways these people are the second owners, the original owner lives a couple houses down and there all service records available since new. The car has 99,815 miles on it the fluids have been regorously kept up with including the trans which shifts great compared to mine...it felt like a whole nother machine. Overall the car ran well and drove well, the tires are only a year old and have a lot of tread left. The only dent is in the fender, the interior is dirty but there are no tears cigarette burns or anything, the exterior is dirty as well but nothing a good detail wouldnt fix. As for rust the body has none and there is only surface rust underneath. They have an extra set of rims and tires for an extra hundred but i really didnt look at them because I was more into the car and trying to figure out what was wrong with it. Is there something I am missing when diagnosing this supposed head gasket? Here is a link to the car let me know what you guys think, but in my opinion I would be better off fixing this than the other one because I can do the gaskets I cant do the trans in the gold one.

96 Bird

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I would still get your trans flushed and see what happens. I don't think it can get any worse then it already has. If you get this done at a quick change, you can usually get out the door for less then $100.00. Just make sure that they use Mercon 5 and not anything else.

You aren't going to like the V6, its a bit underpowered in the Thunderbird. Fixing the headgasket will either be just as much or a little less then getting your trans fixed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts