Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure this is a common thread posted at TCCA, but hey that's what forums are for right... Looking for an inexpensive set of wheels while I'm at grad school and have settled on the Taurus (try to buy American and these tend to be less expensive than the equivalent Japanese competition). I'm looking at 2005-2007 model years (2007 was fleet only, right?). I know these tend to be fairly reliable, with common problems including, but not limited to: A/C compressors, plastic intake manifold problems, flaky transmissions, etc.

As for my question, I am looking for one with side airbags and am wondering if this is a rare option as I have not found many to have them. Were they all bundled in the Safety and Security package or were they ordered a la carte in the grand tradition of American automobiles.

·
Premium Member
7,300 Posts
Side airbags were an option on all models, including the LX, IIRC. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
not sure about side's as i know mine could of come with it but i dont see anything stating side air bags so im going to on a whim and say its rare. Since most people prob didnt know they could get them and equal number at the time did not really know what they were or if they would truly save your life (truth is your still prob dead if you get broad sided at a decent speed still in any side bag car... the air bag just decides if its going to be a open or closed casket. should help with roll overs but i doubt that would happen in a Taurus unless your doing something stupid.)

My car over all has been great only issues i have had is really the A/C which if it dies your car dies too... Nice option, Not... I have yet had a issue with my transmission but in no ways means it is good. but over all ford tans are usually reliable. My crown Vic's (marquise actually) engine died on me before the trans did :D at about 500K... forget if it was km or mi... either or it was a great car and i expect the same thing to happen with my Taurus hi mi killing it nothing else.

Oh if you live in canada 07 was a production car (reverse to the crown vic which was fleet only in its last years here) but i dont think many were made due to the Oct production end.

Edit all other problems like brakes etc was due to idiots at Midas... If you buy a ford take it to a ford certified mechanic not those idiots... You will save money. Might cost a few bucks more but its worth it. Last repair i got a free car wash from ford :D

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Side air bags are not super common. They are out there. State fleets may have them to meet requirements (like state of SC Gen 4 Tauruses all have side air bags).

You can find them in the safe and secure package...just look for the (AIRBAG) stamp on the side of the seat. or the marking in the VIN.

AC compressor clutch/coils are the main issue. They can wear out prematurely. Transmissions can be problematic. It's a toss up really.

Finding a Taurus with maintenance records, decent miles, and a good, sound transmission (especially fluid changes) will help out.

I imagine if you find a unsalted/non rusty 05-07 with the above stuff, you will be in good shape for another 5 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses... Live in Northern California (don't know why the forum tools set me in the Northeast), so I'm not worrying about salt/rust. The hunt is on for a clean one with low miles (not too difficult) but the side airbag thing is a bit of a pita.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i'd be careful buying a car anywhere. i live in canada if i sent my car to where you are after fixing up the rust on the back latch (not much) and sold it to someone who didnt demand where the car originated or ever could of been for extended periods of time. I prob could over price it giving you possible the worst car you can buy for your buck. now my car is in great shape but id always be careful location will just deceive you ;)

also id avoid cars which have been near the ocean a lot. Why? salt travels in more then just water it can travel by air as well. also follow the guide they have here i read it quickly and it sounds very well laid out.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Side air bags are not super common. They are out there. State fleets may have them to meet requirements (like state of SC Gen 4 Tauruses all have side air bags).
I guess mine is kind of 'uncommon' then. Wagon, side airbags, duratec, Sable :lol2:.

Either way a car is only as good as how it was maintained. Yes they do have some common issues, but if it was beat to hell, and none of the fluids were changed at regular intervals then you will have issues(like my G-D Windstar.......... :angry:)

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Thanks for the responses... Live in Northern California (don't know why the forum tools set me in the Northeast), so I'm not worrying about salt/rust. The hunt is on for a clean one with low miles (not too difficult) but the side airbag thing is a bit of a pita.
Re"
" not worrying about salt/rust"

You do well do do a carfax and see where the vehicle has been.
Wrecked and retitled etc.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/124-taurus-sable-general-discussion/169220-rust-grade.html

Quick rust check post with pics.

-chart-

ps while looking for my present used '03 Sable last year, looked at a '03 Taurus LX that did not look bad.Carfax showed 9 owners in 8 years and 3X through auction. Nother One wreck and rebuild, red title.

I bought a repro with a damaged wheel and drove it home 150 mi on spare. Nice car. Priced right.

Best of luck

-chart-

·
Registered
34 Posts
a carfax is less likely needed if your buying from a dealer but i would suggest to do it (maybe from more then one source too as one might not have it all. esp if your looking at one car and it came clean). More sources saying clean the more likely it is to be. paying 100 bucks total to find out any and all records from multiple sources is the best.

some dealers even provide it free of charge. reason for this depending where you live (i dont know about laws where you live) there can be legal side effects for not telling the truth. since asking is hearsay i'd get it written, dated and signed. That way anything happens and there is something not disclosed that they knew of(like past owner told them about a accident but never reported it and just repaired it, use your imagination :p) you have a greater chance to get your money back.

The above also works with a private seller however if all car reports come clean i doubt you would need to worry... unless it was a 1 owner and you notice weird things in and/or out of the car.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
If you get a car in good condition, it should get you though the grad school. However, the urban and suburban fuel economy is kind of scary. I get 16mpg or so. Ok, this may not a big problem for a typical grad student who lives next to campus and doesn't have much time to do things outside of school. In grad school, there were times that I'd drive my car only once a week to the gym and to get groceries. However, for a daily driver, I'd look for something else. Perhaps a compact car, or a midsize car with a more modern drivetrain. Gen 4 Taurus has effectively the same drivetrains as the G3 which debuted in 1995. If you have to drive a lot, a compact car could work better for you. A 2006 Toyota Corolla or a Mazda3 should probably cost about the same as a Taurus in a comparable condition.

I got a low millage 99 Taurus (built in late 98) in 2005, a new set of tires, and a battery. I was also in grad school, so I didn't drive it much. Maybe, 20,000 miles in five years. For the first five years it was virtually trouble free. I only changed fluids and filters. After 2010 there were some troubles, despite the "low" millage:

steering gear
ball joints
front struts
ac
outer (or inner?) links
brakes are shot, front and rear
engine mounts
and possibly one of wheel bearings

A lot of these issues are relatively expensive to repair. When in grad school, for me it was a big issue to drop even $500 on any sort of repair work, much less the $800 which was the cost of replacing the steering gear and other parts that came out worn. However, the engine and transmission are running strong. I am slowly taking care of other things. Once this is done, I expect the car to be relatively trouble free for another five years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
fct
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing