Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 2013 Sho and i had a oil change done and before i could get out of the parking lot of the oil change place there was white smoke so thick i couldn't see the shop i just came out, by the time i pulled it back into the shop i had oil leaking from my tail pipes and no oil in the car. The idle is all jacked up now and there is a horrible binding sound when accelerating ( noticed on the drive home). From wat i can gather my engine is completely shot, is there anyone who can tell me something different.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What did the dealer have to say? Or was it an oil change place? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense from just an oil change if it was fine prior to.

·
Super Moderator
7,693 Posts
Hopefully the oil was not changed by one of those instant oil change places like Jiffy Lube, Firestone, Valvoline instant oil change, etc. In general the "mechanics" who work there know less about cars than my dog does. The web is full of many many thousands of complaints from those places destroying cars by forgetting to put in oil after draining the old oil out, WAY overfilling the crankcase, loose filters or drain plugs that leak all the oil out in a few miles, and that is if the even actually do the oil change at all. Even cases of coolant added to the brake MC, tranny fluid addred to the coolant bottle, draining the tranny instead of the crankcase and refilling the crankcase with oil, doubling the amount of oil in the crankcase, destroying the engine and transmission at the same time. They will NEVER take any responsibility for their screw ups.

·
Registered
96 Posts
First of all, why the hell would you drive it anywhere after seeing what you did. If you had literally zero oil in the engine, that's quite a bit for it to leak out, short of the oil change place forgetting to tighten the drain plug and it working itself out in short order. But then of course the puddle would be enormous which I'm sure you'd notice. My initial reaction would be clogged PVC valve, blown head gasket, cracked block/piston. I know it sounds stupid but not unheard of, have they not forgotten to put the new oil in? That would certainly roast your engine and whatever was left of the old oil could be forced thru shot seals/rings and out the tailpipe. Other than that, yea this does not sound like something that could be attributed to an oil change, I mean there's not a whole lot to f*** up here (other than what Jeff K mentions above).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok this is what i needed thanks guys but a lille back story to tje car is it has about 85,000 mileson it and it ran just fine with no major issues other than i just found out that my car was misfiring (it was something that just started happening and tge code told me which one it was) which really only happened under full throttle but to be clear I didnt leave, I lightly accerated doing about 5 miles and hr out of a express oil place (first mistake was going there) and allowed the car to roll up to the end of the parking lot so there was no smoke. It was at the point of acceleration to merge into traffic that the pillows of smoke came pouring out of my tailpipes completely blocking out everything behind me. Needless to say thats when i turned around and went back of course.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took it to for and when they pulled down just the exhaust mufflers and pipes oil was pouring out they put a drip pan down and was able to fill it which is funny because when i pulled back into the oil express place after i first noticed the problem they told me that the reason there was no oil in the car is because my skid plate was acting as a bowl and holding all of that oil up under my car, i guess they thought i was dumb. They took no responsibility at all and told me to sue them which is how i ended up at ford. They think the whole engine is bad as well as both turbos even though the car doesnt over heat, but it shakes while accelerating, it is in limp mode i guess and it drained all the oil again ecen after they refilled the oil before i took it to ford.

·
Super Moderator
7,693 Posts
^^^^^ Agreed.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Sounds like the turbo shaft seals are blown and that will also cause a misfire. My daughter was looking at a BMW that had a 1/4 inch thick CarFax and it had pages of misfire reports and new sparkplugs. When you started the engine it pumped out smoke, then cleared up. It was only two years old but turbo seals were bad. Oil will accumulate in the intercooler and you needed to open the throttle to blow it clean but oil goes into engine and fouls sparkplugs. If it was starting to misfire it could have been the start of a seal failure. If exhaust side seal fails then it just pours into exhaust.

I guess they only thing that could cause a massive engine failure is running engine without oil for a short period of time. How do you prove that. And not you driving it home after the smoke came pouring out. Did they have to refill the engine after they dropped the exhaust pipe to drain oil?
What is the Ford people saying other than a bad engine? Low oil pressure, knocking? Why two bad turbos? Lack of oil. Was oil light on in your car?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Sounds like the turbo shaft seals are blown and that will also cause a misfire. My daughter was looking at a BMW that had a 1/4 inch thick CarFax and it had pages of misfire reports and new sparkplugs. When you started the engine it pumped out smoke, then cleared up. It was only two years old but turbo seals were bad. Oil will accumulate in the intercooler and you needed to open the throttle to blow it clean but oil goes into engine and fouls sparkplugs. If it was starting to misfire it could have been the start of a seal failure. If exhaust side seal fails then it just pours into exhaust.

I guess they only thing that could cause a massive engine failure is running engine without oil for a short period of time. How do you prove that. And not you driving it home after the smoke came pouring out. Did they have to refill the engine after they dropped the exhaust pipe to drain oil?
What is the Ford people saying other than a bad engine? Low oil pressure, knocking? Why two bad turbos? Lack of oil. Was oil light on in your car?

Yup, my Fiat's turbo has a little bit of leakage when the bearings are cold. A little bit is generally no big deal, but eventually you need to address it by rebuilding the turbo.

·
Super Moderator
7,693 Posts
Are the quality of turbos going down the toilet these days? The aftermarket made in the USA Garrett T3 on my 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe has over 100K miles on it, and I regularly boost it up to 24 psi with meth injection. Zero issues with the Garrett turbo since I put it on back in 2000 to replace the pathetic Warner ISHI turbo the car came with. No smoke out the tailpipes ever, and engine uses half a quart of oil every 3K miles. Engine runs better than new with 271K miles on the car.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
The Ford turbo are little peanut size and the scrolls are about two inches in diameter. You know the cool down and proper oil during engine shut down is critical. Spinning 50k to 150k rpms is scary to think and not have proper oil conditions. I seem to remember some turbos had preoilers and pressurized oilers to oil during spin down. Don't think Ford uses them. I think older turbos spin slower and were derivatives of turbo diesel era.

I liked turbos when I was younger but now I look at reliability and trouble free ride that can hit 200k without major influx of money. Can't see OEM turbos lasting the life of the car with those extreme rpms and temperatures.

Did GraySHO1 ever attempt an induction cleaning or did the express oil change place sell him one?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like it's burning water.
Check if someone put something in the fuel or oil. (Did you have the engine flushed and they forgot to take it out and put oil in?)

Why would you drive it out of the parking lot if you saw all that smoke after they did just an oil change?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
KillrRABBIT
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing