Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just finished the heater core!
All went well, but still a pain. Anyways, went to change the thermostat, and got what was supposed to be a replacement from Autozone. Well, after about an hour and a half I decided that the new one was not going to go in. Seems the aftermarket thermostat was slightly larger than the factory one with o-ring gasket. So, instead of paying $7, the stealership charged $42 and change. Anyone else run into this problem, or is it just my bad luck?

·
Registered
116 Posts
This is kinda my fear too. flush the system, uninstall the hoses and find out that t-stat doesn't fit. I gotta go with after market b/c I need 180 degree one due to pinging.
Parts guy in dealer said Motorcraft doesn't make 180degree t-stat.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The same thing happened to me. Autozone sold me the wrong t-stat, and I had to WALK all the stinking way back, since my car was "sans cooling". I can't stand the idiots that run that place.

Using a 180 t-stat will cause a loss in fuel efficiency, from what iv'e been told. Instead of putting in that t-stat, get a phenolic spacer from bob. It will keep the intake charge much cooler, thereby reducing detonation. Also, a CAI steup will help, if you don't have one already.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can you be more specific about phenolic spacer CAI steup? What are these? I was planning to put 180 Degree t-stat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got the replacement for my vulcan at Autozone, it was a perfect fit. Perhaps they sold you the one for the wrong engine?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts