Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this idea that if I change the thermostat to one that will run the engine hotter I will get more heat out of the heater then I am with the stock thermostat, also I plan on swappin the stock one back in when it gets warm out.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Stock t-stat is the ~190* unit. I have not seen hotter ones than that.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
[/b]
I wouldnt think you would want to run hotter than that :blink: ... Household heaters push 112* max usually.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also I'm having heater core problems again, I flushed the damn thing and it clogged up a week later, it has decent heat when its above 30 degrees out, what the hell is wrong with this damn thing.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
The almighty vulcan is an almighty rust factory. The amount of rust that builds up in the cooling system is horrid. Though, your heater core could just be perma-f#cked.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The almighty vulcan is an almighty rust factory. The amount of rust that builds up in the cooling system is horrid. Though, your heater core could just be perma-f#cked.
[/b]
Did I mention I've replaced the damn thing twice already and the second time it was replaced the fan housing was replaced to, what do I have to do take the engine apart and clean it by hand, I will not let this lack of heat be the death of this car, the engine and transmission are still good, and I'll be damned if I let this heater issue kill the car, I've put to much work into it to let this kill her.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
If you're afraid it's going to stop up the whole cooling system, then you need to do a heater core bypass. It's just running a line between the in and out hoses that go to/from the core. That way, if it does completely clog up, then the coolant has another route.

No, you didnt mention that you replaced it twice. In some cases, yeah, you do need to take the heads off to clear out all of the rust/deposit build up.

Check fred's page (rogueperformance.com) for tips on preventing rust from building up at the back of the cylinder heads.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Do you flush the cooling system or do you just change the heater core?

Running some prestone flush stuff through the system for a while probably wont hurt.

I've changed mine every 2 years since the car was new and the coolan't isn't brown when I change it :)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[/b]
Well I'm gonna up grade to a 195* degree thermostat, should take care of the problem until it gets warmer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
honestly I don't see how upping the termostat from 190 to 195 will solve your problem. If it's not getting flow, it won't really matter. Let us know if it works.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Well I'm gonna up grade to a 195* degree thermostat, should take care of the problem until it gets warmer.
[/b][/quote]

Dude, upping your thermostat isn't going to help anything.. You need to fix your heater core. Upping your thermostat is going to end up causing damage to your motor.

Fix your heater core or blend door. the heat that comes off of the core is enough to melt heat shrink.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm with Mediarocker on this...find the problem and fix it before you MAKE more expensive problems for yourself...

Have you ever checked the condition of your waterpump?? You might be another victim of the "96-99 Vulcan water pump" curse??

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm with Mediarocker on this...find the problem and fix it before you MAKE more expensive problems for yourself...

Have you ever checked the condition of your waterpump?? You might be another victim of the "96-99 Vulcan water pump" curse??
[/b]
My dads idea to do the thermostat, and if it was the water pump the engine would have been having problems, which its not, I suggested taking the heads off and cleaning it out but he doesn't want to do that, I flushed the system and it produced heat for a week.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
How and what are you using to flush the motor? What kind of antifreeze are you using? Do you have a good coolant tank?

·
Registered
834 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
My dads idea to do the thermostat, and if it was the water pump the engine would have been having problems, which its not, I suggested taking the heads off and cleaning it out but he doesn't want to do that, I flushed the system and it produced heat for a week.
[/b][/quote]

What 'problems' would the engine be having if the water pump was rotting away...you cooling system is 'clogging' with something...and more times than not...the water pump impellers are rotting away contaminating the coolant with rust and such...which in turn flows to your heater core and clogs that up. You may have flushed your coolant and core a couple times...but if the "original' problem still persists...you'll keep doing it until you have no flow what so ever. If a water pumps impellers are gone...the coolant won't flow right or flow at all, in extreme cases. I'm not guaranteeing this is your problem...but I've seen it here and in real life too many times not to consider it an option.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How and what are you using to flush the motor? What kind of antifreeze are you using? Do you have a good coolant tank?
[/b]
Coolant tank is good, I use Prestone 50/50 when I need to top it off, and the last time I got it flushed they had me leave the car running and they just simply took the old stuff out and put new stuff in I don't know what kind of anti-freeze they use.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Sounds like they are using recycled antifreeze to me. They may be hooking it up to a machine that filters and treats the antifreeze then puts it back in.

If they don't treat right then you just get the same old crap back just filtered.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like they are using recycled antifreeze to me. They may be hooking it up to a machine that filters and treats the antifreeze then puts it back in.

If they don't treat right then you just get the same old crap back just filtered.
[/b]
They don't put the same stuff in, the machine they use has two tanks on it, one for the old stuff and one for the new stuff, it takes between five and ten minutes and I don't know if they actually flush the system, rather I think they remove the old stuff and put the new stuff in, in other words I think the crap thats loose comes out and the other stuff stays in the pipes until it gets ran and then it comes off and goes where it shouldn't.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I bet though that they treat or get treated recycled antifreeze. I didn't mean that it was all done closed loop like freon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts