Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Door Gas Wood Button Silver

Hand Eye Door Water Wood

Posting because I was looking for this information before I did a coolant flush and thermostat change and couldn't find a definitive answer, maybe this will help someone else.

Stock thermostat that came out of my 2013 Taurus limited is 180 degrees. I was confused because all the options on rockauto are 180 except for the motorcraft thermostat which is listed at 190. Pictures attached if anyone is interested.

Just getting in to doing some routine maintenance myself, and this forum has been real valuable for learning, thanks all.

·
Registered
11,506 Posts
Actual coolant temp according to the OBD-II reading. Temp is managed by the stat only for minimum. If air temp and ambient air flow due to speed then the stat modulates the coolant to the radiator so temp is quite steady. In hot weather you will run hotter based on the fan speed as managed by the PCM. So 200-220F is not uncommon. One of my recordings at 100F ambient, sun, mid July. Coolant never saw 200 at speed, and 222F when stop and go. All is well with that.
Stat only gets you up to minimum on cold start or cold weather. I see no issue with 190 in any of our cars.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actual coolant temp according to the OBD-II reading. Temp is managed by the stat only for minimum. If air temp and ambient air flow due to speed then the stat modulates the coolant to the radiator so temp is quite steady. In hot weather you will run hotter based on the fan speed as managed by the PCM. So 200-220F is not uncommon. One of my recordings at 100F ambient, sun, mid July. Coolant never saw 200 at speed, and 222F when stop and go. All is well with that.
Stat only gets you up to minimum on cold start or cold weather. I see no issue with 190 in any of our cars.
-chart-
So out of pure curiosity and the fact I like numbers and charts like yours, I picked up a vlinker vgate fd and have been tracking my coolant temp on shorter trips (10 miles or so) around town for the past couple days.

Outdoor temps have been upper 70's/lower 80's. Seems like the car will hit a steady state temp at about 185 then increase to just under 190 when accelerating hard. Have a long trip coming up later this week and interested to see what it looks like after a couple hours on the interstate.

I think id still be hesitant to put a 190 thermostat in my car with this information. Luckily the local Ford dealer had a 180 motorcraft that I ended up putting in.

·
Registered
11,506 Posts
Back in the DAY, industry standard for emissions and mpg, required 192-4F stat and 14-16# pressure cap. Before pressure caps, 160 summer, 180 winter was standard. Of course back then the temp was only managed up to stat temp. Then it was up to ambient temp and speed/load. Stat only manages minimum temp.
-chart-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts