Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
First of all, thanks again everyone, you are very helpful in this forum, that helps a lot
This last week-end I did my thermostat replacement, ordered the original one Motorcraft RT1152 190F and 88C Thermostat for my Ford Taurus 2006SE, Vulcan Engine OHV
Also the cap and the gasket
The gasket was poor quality and fell off
Therefore I replaced with some red RTV special for high temperature but I plan to buy another gasket, I think felpro the compatible one
Anyway my question is mostly about the way to put properly the thermostat into its housing
I am not talking about the way to put the spring towards the housing, I know that the spring needs to go towards the head housing and the other side towards the coolant housing
My question is about the little yellow pin we have,
all videos, haynes and drawings mention to put it at the very top 90 degrees I would say ?
should we slide it until it kinda clicks ? I am sure when I did on the old and the new it didnt go at the very top 90 degrees

I put it that way but not sure if that`s correct since it had hard time to warm up etc...I would say longer that with the former thermostat, also the former thermostat was like below, at the top but not 90 degrees either

If you can share your experience with Vulcan thermostat replacement for this generation please ?

Organism Font Line Technology Darkness
Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
The little yellow pin allows any trapped air to bleed off so it should be placed at the 12 oclock position if possible. I was thinking the thermostat is shaped to fit in only one position. I am going by memory from replacing it on my 06 years ago,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your prompt reply, I think I did push it at 12 oclock but perhaps best to check and replace the RTV by a real gasket this week end if the weather is OK
Meanwhile I might see how it goes by driving tomorrow and Thursday
I guess after a coolant flush, this is also "normal" to loose a little bit of coolant within few days and top off this week when cold?
Yes I did coolant flush and thermostat replacement, I replaced the coolant by the OEM specific Ford Gold

·
Registered
04 Taurus SES Vulcan
18 Posts
I guess after a coolant flush, this is also "normal" to loose a little bit of coolant within few days and top off this week when cold?
If you didn't get all the air out of the system when filling, then yes. Eventually it'll make it's way up to the expansion tank and be replaced with coolant.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks guys, so nothing to worry about just watch and check I would say ?

·
Registered
04 Taurus SES Vulcan
18 Posts
yeah keep an eye on it over the first dozen drives, you should see it taper off. Get it hot and run the heater to be sure everything's getting a chance to burp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts