Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Taurus SE Duratec w/69k miles on it. Ever since I bought the car, the thermostat has not acted as I thought it would. It responds to the car warming up, reaches a little over 1/3 of the way up the dial, then stops. It never moves any higher. The fan does engage and i've never had any overheating problems, but even sitting in the car on a hot day in traffic it still stays right at that level. Any ideas? Should I replace the thermostat, or should i just not worry about it since the fans engage? If anyone knows of a guide on how to replace the thermostat, that'd be great too. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I'm confused by what your problem is. If your not having any over heating problems and your fan appears to be working properly and the temp gauge indicated it is in the normal operating range what is the problem?

the thermostat has not acted as I thought it would
How are you expecting it to act?

As far as a guide for replacing it, i would suggest you get a Haynes or Chilton manual for you year/model of car. They will come in very handy in the future.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Test the cooling system by leaving the car idling without the AC in a place like a driveway. The temp gauge should slowly rise untill the fans turn on near the top of the gauge. If it doesn't, I would check or replace the Coolant Temperature Sender, which may be sending incorrect signals to your dash board.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fan does turn on. It's just that it never moves past this one point. On my 90 taurus i had, the temp gauge would move between the "normal" range, sometimes reaching L, then going back down to around R after the fan turned on. I just thought that the temperature guage should move more than it does.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My gauge never moves (or moves so little that I don't notice) once it is at operating temp. This system seems to be efficient enough to keep the temp relatively constant. If the fan is turning on and off and it isn't overheating then everything should be doing it's job.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by NateNBeckie@Jun 3 2004, 10:57 AM
My gauge never moves (or moves so little that I don't notice) once it is at operating temp. This system seems to be efficient enough to keep the temp relatively constant. If the fan is turning on and off and it isn't overheating then everything should be doing it's job.
I second that but if you are still concerned and feel the need to fix/replace something try the Coolant Temperature Sender as biteableniles suggested.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Even during hot summer days sitting on the Schyukill, my gauge never gets higher than about 2/3 of the way up. I've never seen it get very high at all. As long as it's only going that high, leave everything alone, there are most likely no problems...

JR

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Hello guys, I have a question which I would really like to know about the thermostat. Ummm ... when I bought my car I used to put perfomance accessories to make it fast so one of my friends who really knows about car told me to take out the thermostat because it would make the engine cooler at all times and that will make it faster so I didnt know at that time that much about it so my question if does the car gets affected by having no thermostat?

Thank you

Frank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts