Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 seems to be not warming up like it should. I have some suspicion that the thermostat is opening up too soon or does not close all the way. I am going to replace it, but the question is with what? When i went through the car a few years back, i put in a fail safe stat from O Reileys i think. I seem to recall some discussion awhile back about junk thermostats so, what stats have you guys found that are reliable long term and work at there rated temps? Are Stants OK? Jiggle valve a must?

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I used a Stant Thermostat when I did my engine rebuild. I checked it though before I installed it by putting it in a pot of water on the stove and bringing it up to a boil. It should open just before the water reaches the boiling point and close again after the heat is turned off and the water allowed to cool below 195 degrees.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Motorcraft.
Absolutely. Keeps the engine temp where it should be plus you get Motorcraft quality. Other thermostats you may never know what it doing or not doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.