Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

As an act of preventative maintenance, I decided to put new coolant in my 2003 Taurus LX (Vulcan). I learned the hard way what happens when you have old coolant with my '97.

What I did was removed the radiator hose and thermostat, drained most of the coolant out. It was very clean, no rust. I poured 2.5 gallons of distilled water through the overflow tank. I then installed a new thermostat and gasket, closed everything up, and poured in my new coolant. I used Prestone extended life concentrate and a gallon of distilled water. I used most of both gallons and filled it to the Cold fill line.

What I'm noticing is that when the car gets to temp, the coolant in the reservoir doesn't move. Also, it doesn't seem that the thermostat is opening because I can't feel coolant in the radiator hose (attached to thermostat), but it does get very hot. The car doesn't overheat even after driving for an hour and idling in traffic. There's also enough heat coming out of the A/C vents to melt my face off, which is good. Everything was working just fine beforehand, again, this was just preventative maintenance. I guess my question is, being that it's not overheating, and the heat still works, did I do something wrong? Is this normal?

·
Administrator
14,917 Posts
If you have heat and the car is operating at the correct temperature the T-stat is opening. As an aside if there's "enough heat coming out of the A/C vents to melt my face off" you are one fortunate Vulcan owner.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
You are not at a 50/50 concentration if that is what you were looking for. Usually if you don't pull freeze plugs you have quite a bit of water left in the block. I add one gallon of concentrate and one 50/50 to get a 50/50 in the total system. Those two gallons fill the system to the old fill mark. Not sure how you got all the gallons in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts