Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Make sure the car is full of coolant. Might have a big enough air pocket somewhere thats keeping coolant from going anywhere.

·
Registered
22,587 Posts
Sonic, core needs to be open not just for heat, but also for cooling system circulation. Coolant is constantly flowing through it whenever engine is running. No by-pass, or heater control valve like on older cars. No by-pass hose like on the vulcan.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I did replace the belt hoping that was worn enough to slip. Nothing happen, still OH.
The hose connected to the water pump was cold, but when I press on it I can see water leve raising in the expansion tank. Is there a place to air out the circuit?

I am looking to remove the pump but it's a bear. Even the hoses won't budge from the inlets...

As for the heater core - I see that are 2 hoses from the water pump - one to radiator and another to inside the car to the core. So it is on the top too - it has a Y that splits the circulation. So I really doubt that the whole water from the engine circulates thru the heater core.

Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Updates:
I got the pump nuts off, the top hose off, the braket for the AC compressor off, the clamps from the bottom two hoses are loose... the stupid hoses won't come off the inlets. Not to much space there, I am twisting, pulling... Like there are welded there. Is there a trick to loose them? Or just find stonger arms than mine?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Flat screwdriver tip run around the hose did the trick.
Image of the water pump below - it was cracked almost completly, when I just touch it, it split in two.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
My thumbs are numb from wrestling with that stupid bottom hose. I didn't button it back yet, I am treating my wounds with some Bacardi. I have another vehicle to drive to work... it's a V8 5.0L thou, with this gas prices I was avoiding it :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
can you change the thermostat from the top or do you need to get underneath the car?thanks.I have a Australian taurus and still cant really see it from under the hood(top view).i smell a water/steam smell but thats all,car wasnt started for 16 months.heater works,the overflow bottle has gone down about 200ml but thats all.temp gauge goes to half then stays there.i want to check the voltage of radiator water but i dont know if my hand held ECS820B does it.

·
Registered
22,587 Posts
Gen3 tec t-stat is accessed from underneath pass. front. Follow the lower h2o pump rubber/metal hose to the housing.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts