Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Ford Taurus GL. Lately I've been noticing once the car warms up a bit, it starts going wacky. WHen I'm driving Like one minute it'll be at C, next it'll be right in the middle like its supposed to be for like a min or so, then it'll shoot back down near the C, and then its on top of the N(in the word normal) suddenly, then back right in the middle or on the O, whichever you go by, and it'll keep doing this, it doesn't seem like the engine overheats or anything, but it'll do it no matter how long the trip is. So I was wondering what the hell would cause the temp gauge to bounce around so much, and going over bumps don't change it either, it changes when it feels like it. When I'm at idle it does it less, but it still does it. What could cause this?

B

·
0 Posts
It could be a number of things. The sensor or the gauge could be faulty, or the cooling system may be low, or have air pockets. How's the coolant level?

What engine is it?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I had that problem... Decided to change the thermostat & coolant and I found that the thermostat literally came apart!
The spring disconnected and everything was just sitting in the housing (luckily). My temp needle would fluctuate from normal to cold to mid range... it'd be all over the place. Now that I changed the thermostat, everything is back to normal.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 3.0 L, and as I said 1994 Ford Taurus Gl. If it were a 3.8, then I'd be worried about head gasket problems. I've checked my coolant level, it leaks a little bit, but I make sure its at hot fill when the engine is warm. I have to fill it a little bit every couple of weeks, but I've checked the oil and its not milky so I think I'm ok in that respect. I thought it might be the thermostat sensor, wanted to see what people said. I was wondering though, where is the Tstat, and how hard is it to replace, because if its not that bad I'll do it myself, so then I actually know what the temp of my engine is at all times. If its the gauge, I could probably pick one up at the junkyard, so, either way, its hopefully an easy fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts