Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, i need your assistance on something. There's something wrong with Bruce, but i can't quite figure it out. Today, on my way home from work, i had the a/c on, since i just recently replaced the a/c dryer line...and mind you that i had been on the freeway for a good 35-40 minutes prior to my incident. so i'm stopped at a red light, and i had just turned off my a/c, and rolled down the windows. While i was sitting there, i felt Bruce shake..and i looked at the RPMs and it was going from just above zero to just below the one...it felt like my car wanted to stall :angry: . And i put my vents on, and looked at the temperature gauge. My car was definitely over heating. :unsure:

The whole thing that i'm curious about is, what would my car over heat from and would overheating cause your car to stall? I just had the carbon cleaned out about a year ago, the egr valve is replaced, my fuel pump was replaced, and from what i understand, the previous owner had replaced the radiator not long before i bought the car. (which is less than 2 years ago) Is there anything else that i should look into? FYI, all fluids are good, clean and full.

Thanks so much for your time! :D :)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Maybe you need a new Thermoustat? Poor Bruce! :(

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, and most importantly, don't let him overheat! Pull off and run your heat on high and open the hood if he starts to over heat. But stay clear of the front of the car in case a hose decides to blow coolant or something. OK, now that I've got that out... :)

The idling problem sounds weird. The only thing I could think of is that maybe there's a clog in your cooling system somewhere. When was the last time you had your coolant flushed? What color is it? It should be a nice, clear-ish green color. Hope this helps - and good luck! :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by fordaspiregv@Jun 4 2004, 07:30 PM
Maybe you need a new Thermoustat? Poor Bruce! :(
True... I forgot about that... but since the car was acting funny I would think it is more than just that. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I'll second the thermostat vote, partly because when you have the A/C on the fan will run constantly (that's why your engine will often run cooler with the A/C on than with it off. try it! LOL), and when you turned off the A/C, the fan turned off, and if the thermostate was screwed up, it might not turn it back on properly. Hopefully it's nothing more serious than that!

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Here are a few things you can check.

First, make sure the engine really is running hot. It may be a failed temperature sending unit giving you a false reading. If you can, check the coolant temperature with an accurate temperature measuring device. If it really is running hot check the thermostat. You can remove it and put it in a pot of water on the stove. Heat the water while monitoring the temperature. The thermostat should open at the temperature stamped on it.

Next check to see if you are loosing any coolant at all (externally or internally). Check for any visible external leaks from hoses, radiator and heater core. You can also have the coolant tested to see if there are combustion by-products in it which would indicate that combustion gasses are getting past the head gasket which would mean a blown head gasket.

Also check the cooling fins on the radiator to ensure that they are firmly attached to the cooling tubes. I can't remember what year your car is but salt from the highway will corrode the solder and break the bond between the fins and tubes thus preventing sufficient heat transfer from the coolant to the air passing by the fins. If you had the radiator replaced recently then this is probably not the case.

Did you notice if your radiator fans are working properly?

I'm guessing it's the thermostat though. I'm not going to say that the heat issue would or wouldn't cause the rough idle issue but it wouldn't surprise me if it had something to do with it as bad as heat can be for an engine.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Jun 4 2004, 10:09 PM
Aw, poor Brucey!

Well, first things first, have you checked your coolant level? I know the g3's are prone to that brown sludge in there (which I still need to flush my coolant), so that could cause it to overheat..
Not to shoot down your idea Ashley but she did mention that
FYI, all fluids are good, clean and full.
Regardless, that is usually one of the first things you should check so good call on the recommendation.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Jun 4 2004, 10:28 PM
Poop... I need to learn how to read more.

I'm telling you Finals are KILLING ME!!!
don't worry about it.

Yeah finals suck pretty bad, but stick with it and they'll be over with before you even realize it.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
You said that you have recently had the drier line replaced, maybe you should check in that area to see if something got reinstalled incorrectly or got kinked or left unplugged or something like that. I would be more inclined to think something of this nature may have happened rather than something out of the blue going bad or wrong. Did the shop(I assume) or whomever did the work have to drain the coolant system to replace the drier line, I never have had to, but theres a lot of mechanics out there that don't work like me. Anyway, hope you find the problem!!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Kim,

Ok, you check all the fluid levels and found all to be ok, including the coolant. You mentioned that you had a drier line replaced (low side) so the A/C system was pulled down, and then recharged.

A couple of things could be causing this. First off you mentioned that you had the A/C on, turned it off, and then it heated up sitting at a light.

As we all know the A/C condenser is in front of the radiator, and that the function is to remove heat. If you were moving, shut the system off and the fan did not respond, or stay on, the radiator would have double the heat load and it would overheat pretty quick.

How bad was the overheat? Was the needle pegged in the "H"? How long did it last? When you started to move did it drop right away? Where was the gauge before the overheat?

A couple of things come to mind:

Thermostat sticking
Low coolant flow
Or most likely a cooling fan problem

·
Registered
61 Posts
you said that the engine started running rough after you shut off the a/c, check and see if the compressor is working correctly i am thinking that it may have locked up. ive never heard of a car running that poorly when over heated they either run or die

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
3 yrs ago......

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
We oldsters in the club remember old Bruce!!
I think Kim is still in CA with Sal!! :)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
<div class='quotemain'> We oldsters in the club remember old Bruce!!
I think Kim is still in CA with Sal!! :) [/b]
Yep, and IIRC they both own Hondas now.
[/b][/quote]

...and are married, and IIRC, have a baby...

JR

·
Registered
799 Posts
And sheep. :)

JK! Last time I spoke with Sal was about 6 mos. ago. And all of the above was true, except he didn't mention a baby.

·
Registered
4 Posts
And sheep. :)

JK! Last time I spoke with Sal was about 6 mos. ago. And all of the above was true, except he didn't mention a baby.
[/b]
Yes, Kim and I have two Hondas. I own a 2003 Honda Accord V6 6Speed. Kim owns a 2007 Honda CR-V.

Who are you carfixer68? I don't remember talking to any RI'ers. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts