Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not putting down ShoSource by any means, when I can get a good deal I go for it, they've helped me out. But I cant see paying 63 bucks for a set of used backing plates.

So I'm getting ready to finally replaced the struts/springs/mounts add a sway bar, and of course the rear brakes are starting to grind (been a while since I've pulled the drummies off). Why the hell would I get new drums (stock ones still on, been cut many many times) and shoes, and since I haven't pulled them off in so long and the fluid is getting low, I'm assuming the wheel cylinders are pukin. I could just do a rear conversion for a little more money and get better braking. So far on Rock auto I've got calipers, hoses, and cables all brand new for a 1992 for less than 200 including shipping. Pads and rotors can get at a parts store, not paying shipping for heavy ass rotors. But backing plates I can't find anywhere, except shosource. Anyone ever find these anywhere else? I'm sorry but even 50 bucks for a couple pieces of rusty metal just seems a bit much, especially when everything is going to be new. Plus the 13 for shipping... I would just rip em out of a junk yard, but the ones I go to don't let you use a jack, everything is sitting on the backing plates!
Any Ideas?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Our Backing plates are not rusty. What the $50 gets you is west coast rust free backing plates. Even if you go pull them from the junkyard you will not find any backing plates rust free unless you are on the west coast.

Also you are paying for our labor to pull them. We are nice but not free.

So the $50 gets you rust free plates that we pull.

Also they are large plates and so no you can't send them for $5.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I agree, SHOSource is an awesome vendor for that sort of stuff. I think that price is reasonable. If I were doing a rear conversion, I would use SHOSource. Plus they are knowledgeable about what they sell. I once tried to purchase sway bars from them and they caught the fact that the rear one wouldn't actually work on my car because it was a wagon. I won't call them total expects on all subjects, but $50 is not a lot of money for a part that has been pulled and is in excellent condition.

If you are really convinced you want to pull your own, and that you can save money, and that you can even find them, go ahead. Yards don't pull parts for free, and self service yards charge to even let you come in, and they might not even have what you need. And your time probably isn't free either, unless you are unemployed. I'm sorry, but when I get home from work, or have time off work, it is valuable to me, I don't want to waste it on an easter egg hunt, er, I mean junkyard car parts hunt.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assumed that even a 1992 car part in Cali would still be rusted to ish, maybe I assumed incorrectly since I'm just used to cars rusting over in 2 years here. Honestly, I didn't think of that fact that someone had to go out and pull these things. (duh, how else would it get there) I wasn't saying anything bad about the shipping cost, just that it's an added expense, I understand 13 bucks, that's not horrible.
I was just merely asking if anyone knew of any other source for this product that was new and cheaper, or it they're just not made anymore, by anyone. I figured if ther're still made in bulk, like any other product, they'd be less expensive.
As far as pulling them myself, I would if the cars in the yards weren't sitting on the backing plates. They don't charge to get into the yard, they'll haggle about what you have when you leave. I kinda like walking around searching on a nice day during the weekend... But now that I think back to when I was working on fords, those backing plates are the first to go. After 10 years or so they just litterly crumble if you hit them...
So anyway, I guess ShoSource has the market cornered on this! I guess I'll be going there when I'm ready to do the rear brakes.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
naw, yah.. I agree. Like I said, I hadn't taken into consideration the plates needed to pulled out of a yard, no rust is a plus, and probably not available anywhere else, yeah I suppose it's worth it.

I got the rear struts and springs in btw, when I pulled the old ones out, yeah, rust. I sanded it down a little then sprayed it with rustoleum rust reformer, let it sit for a few then gave the entire wheel well an undercoating. The right side dogleg is rotting pretty bad... oh and Dan, I don't think there's a rustoleum product for your issue.

I still haven't pulled the drums off, I don't want to know how bad they are until I can afford the conversion. I'll be buying that piece by piece for the next month or two, I hate being broke all the damn time!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Well, seeing as how it's not really a very high operating temperature area, I would use a rust converter spray on it as a base and then maybe black caliper spray for finish.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what I'll be doing when I get the backing plates, Dan. Refer to post #8, the same thing I did to underside of the body where the mounts meet, I'l do that.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
That's what I'll be doing when I get the backing plates, Dan. Refer to post #8, the same thing I did to underside of the body where the mounts meet, I'l do that.
I read that post, I thought you meant that actual undercoat spray, which I think is a bad idea anywhere we get REAL winter weather, moisture and salt just get trapped in by that rubberized stuff. Anytime I do strut work I always clean out and rust convert up inside the strut tower sheet metal. That pic I posted was not my car, but my Rose Mist ended up with terminal rot because I never checked a few things closer before I bought it that were bad, I wouldn't have bought it. I think JW had a similar experience with a Sable, IIRC. Live and learn. (PS- my brother lives in the burbs too, in Westwood.) (PPS- Don't forget you have a valuable asset right near you in Spencer, MA - NESHO. They might be able to get you some good backing plates competitively. http://www.nesho.com/)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts