Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Ford taurus ses, Vulcan. I have checked every single fuse both in the engine compartment and under the dash including the mega fuse. The battery is only about 2 years old and fully charged as well. Recently, for some unknown reason, out of the blue when I went to go to work the anti theft kicked on and is not allowing me to crank or start my car. I have no radio, and the theft light is flashing rapidly. The car started and ran fine the day before. I tried going through the re learning process (key on 10 minutes) and it doesn't seem to work. The theft light does go from flashing rapidly to flashing intermittently, but when I shut the key off, wait and try to start it, it starts flashing rapidly again. It is like the car has learned the key but when I shut it off and try to start it for whatever reason it's going back into theft mode. I have another 01 Taurus Vulcan (the only difference is my parts car is a flex fuel, the daily driver is not) that the trans blew up in and it rusted out, I guess my question is if I take the key cylinder and pcm out of the parts(the trans blew up in) and install it in my daily driver that has the theft problem should that in theory correct the problem, or is it a decent starting point? Should that work or would the pcm have to be reprogrammed to the new car? I called the dealer and they said it sounds like the pcm on the theft car needs refreshed which they said itd be 350 to 550 to do that, it's only a 800 dollar car, so I'd rather not sink that much into it. Is it just a matter of taking the big wiring harness off the pcm and then the 2 bolts next to the connector to change them? Sorry for all the questions, I am by no means a electrical or electronics genius, and I dont have alot of money to spend, nor do I being it's a beater with a heater, I'm just trying to get it back on the road.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You can't swap around different taurus pcm years and models, and there may even be a difference with the same year and model. There is a model number printed on a sticker on the pcm's female connector, my car is 2F1A-12A650-CE, for reference. Yours will look somewhat similar. About the lock cylinder, I'm not sure. Your best bet if you want to replace the pcm is either buying a remanufactured pcm from ebay, or finding a pcm with the same model number from a pullapart/picknpull, and having someone program your VIN into it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can't swap around different taurus pcm years and models, and there may even be a difference with the same year and model. There is a model number printed on a sticker on the pcm's female connector, my car is 2F1A-12A650-CE, for reference. Yours will look somewhat similar. About the lock cylinder, I'm not sure. Your best bet if you want to replace the pcm is either buying a remanufactured pcm from ebay, or finding a pcm with the same model number from a pullapart/picknpull, and having someone program your VIN into it.
Thanks that's what I was wanting to know, I'm not sure on the theft car I'll call it if the PCM or if the key went bad, and being I had the same year parts car (except the parts car being flex fuel) if I could just swap out keys (and cylinder) and the pcm out of the parts car since those 2 are already programmed to each other. Are there any ways to determine if the pcm is bad or if it is the key or if it just does need flashed by a dealer? If it means anything the key fob still works to open the truck and unlock lock the doors

·
Registered
126 Posts
For now just look for autoshops that won't charge you the cost of the car to reprogram the PCM. There may even be businesses that you can ship it to to get it reprogrammed.

I'm not sure how you would test the pcm for the issue, and flashing may help, I'm not sure. The key fob is programmed separately from the keys.

Getting a new key would help tell you if it is the keys fault or the PCM's fault.

·
Super Moderator
7,871 Posts
You need a GOOD scan tool like Forscan to look for all catagories of codes (P, B, C, U series). Without codes you have no idea what the problem is.

Ford PCMs are very robust, and are a rare fail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the vehicle to a local shop, he said he wasn't too confident in being able to fix it (as he doesnt have a Ford scanner his is a snap on) and he isnt that big of an electric electronics guy (he does more brakes, tires, o2 sensors stuff like that) but he was local and said hed take a crack at it. He is totally baffled, he said with the key on engine off(which of course it won't crank), the scan tool wont power on, do anything. With the key off engine off the scanner will power on but of course wont link to the cars computer to check for any codes etc. Is this normal when the car is in theft mode to lock out the obd port or would this indicate additional problems? He verified all the fuses were good as well, and he said he cleaned up all the grounds on the vehicle just to be safe, he is baffled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts