Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Yes it could be either relay. Replace them both. You do not need special relays, I believe these are the common Bosch square type. They are cheaper if you look around for fog light relays.
[/b]
Okay,
So I just ran out there and pulled every relay. Here are the findings.

Only relay 23 and 31 (which I replaced already) did anything to the accessories.

With every relay pulled, the interior lights were still on!

When I pulled 23, the speakers went off but the radio was still on (could tell b/c the radio station was still visible) Same with pulling relay 31.

Should I start pulling all the fuses (mini's and maxi's)?

I can, but I'll wait till after work.

btw, I had the doors open the entire time with the map lights on. The door light and map lights never turned off.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I can't even remember what the original problem was. Maybe the GEM?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
OK, so you don't have any codes stored, that kinda tells us that what ever is happening, the computer isn't monitoring it!!!!!

I'd continue on with the relay thing until you put it to bed one way or the other, as the kind of problem your having fits the kind of failure profile a acting out relay would cause.

If that proves naught, try the in gear wiggle test & see if you can cause anything to turn up.

It seems that it's some kind of a periodic power interrupt that affects the computer, but something it isn't monitoring.

So any power feed to it, or ground point it uses, would be good places to inspect closely.

It's likely to turn out to be something simple.

With it occuring when you backed out of the driveway & switched from "R" to "D" the other day, seems to me to be a good clue & thats one of the reasons why I was wondering about the TRS, it's electrical connector, or wiring!!!!

But when you shift from "R" to "D", the engine also moves fore & aft some on it's mounts, so those B+ & B- cables get flexed some & so do the ground points to the engine & body, so all still belong on your suspect list until eliminated imo.

Keep us posted on how your troubleshoot goes.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Okay,
Quick update.. unfortunetly the wiggle tests came up negative. I could not get the car to replicate the problem

Actually the car has not acted up since those 3 times last week. :blink:

It is quite a difficult thing to reproduce. This is why I'm not taking it to a mechanic, because they just will never be able to replicate it to trace it.

Well, until it happens again, I am clueless. :dunno:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Classic symptoms of low voltage at the battery. What is happening is the battery saver relay is dropping out due to low voltage. This cuts out the PCM too.
When the relay turns this stuff off the voltage will then raise due to the way a battery works. Then the the PCM reboots. This is when the all the warning lights flash on and off. Then the voltage drops and the battery saver kicks in again. This just keeps happening until the battery cannot recover.

A new battery and alternator at 2000 rpm should be putting out 14.4V even with a minor electrical load.
Ok so how does this headache get resolved? This can cause an accident on a freeway with the random theft jerking and act stupid . I have this o
Problem on highways with hundreds of other vechile in Los Angeles Ca. Its really never wracking every 20 minutes literally. Cruise control help but in traffic it's on my **** list with fords ill just say that.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts