Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The theft light is flashing on my 2000 SE so I can't start the engine. I tried both sets of keys and the same thing happens. So assuming the chances are slim that both keys haven't lost their programming, what else could it be? I guess the chance is always there that both keys have lost their programming though.

I know the owner's manual probably explains what to do, but I don't have one (yeah foolish I know)..

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Something is wrong with your PATS. Check the fusepanels (not sure if the PATS is on the interior one or the engine bay one.)

Manuals are available for very reasonable prices on eBay.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Do you have another microchipped key from another car on the same keyring? That'll sometimes screw up the PATS.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
If I read the manual correctly, if you try to start the car with a pats key that isn't programmed right, it will disable the car for 30 minutes, at least on gen4. Therefore if you tried the second key within that timeframe, the car wouldn't start regardless of whether the key was good or not.

I would just go try the second key. You might have to get them reprogrammed at the ford dealer. They charged me $40 to program two extra keys as I only had one key.

·
Registered
933 Posts
try disconnecting power first. beyond that you are probably going to need a dealer. if both keys aren't working either they have both lost their program/batteries run out (although I've never heard of a PATS key running out of batteries) or the PATS system itself is to blame. even if someone else put a nother key in the car and tried to start it, it will "cancel" all transponders, meaning that even the correct key will not start the car, but the system automatically resets after 10 seconds I think? and then the correct keys will start the car again, without any resetting or anything, its automatic.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks folks - appreciate it.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me which fuse number is for the PATS? I may take a look later on the off-chance the fuse has blown. I had a quick look at the box under the dash, but it was starting to get dark and I didn't have my flashlight. :rolleyes:

Thanks again

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The guy came to tow it to the dealer, and tried out a few things. Hey Presto! It works! Apparently, if you don't put the car exactly in Park, the anti-theft system decides you're trying to steal it.

So, approximately CAN$42 the poorer, but armed with more than I knew on Saturday, I will take my blushing face away and hide in the corner somewhere. B)

Thanks for your help folks. :notworthy:

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Sounds like the neutral safety switch kept it from starting if you have to put it exactly in park. What did you try to do anyways? Start it in reverse?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by stodge@May 17 2004, 11:07 AM
The guy came to tow it to the dealer, and tried out a few things. Hey Presto! It works! Apparently, if you don't put the car exactly in Park, the anti-theft system decides you're trying to steal it.

So, approximately CAN$42 the poorer, but armed with more than I knew on Saturday, I will take my blushing face away and hide in the corner somewhere. B)

Thanks for your help folks. :notworthy:
Don't worry...we all make stupid mistakes and try to laugh about them!

JR

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heh heh, laughing? More like howling? A friend almost burst some blood vessels as he was laughing so hard!

He also suggested I research this phenomenon, in case there's a problem with a sensor or the anti-theft/gearbox somewhere. Does anything think that this could be a problem surfacing, or could the system really be that sensitive to where I place the gear-stick?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Mine does the same thing. They just don't want you to try to start the car in gear and burn up the starter. Just an engine management feature. My mom's Mustang and my sister's Cougar do the same thing...

JR

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Originally posted by stodge@May 18 2004, 09:11 AM
Heh heh, laughing? More like howling? A friend almost burst some blood vessels as he was laughing so hard!

He also suggested I research this phenomenon, in case there's a problem with a sensor or the anti-theft/gearbox somewhere. Does anything think that this could be a problem surfacing, or could the system really be that sensitive to where I place the gear-stick?

Thanks
I guess this is a common problem in any car. I think I had this problem in one of the first cars I owned, a '74 Corolla and it didn't have any anti-theft system. One of the typical things to try is to wiggle the stick and to also try it in neutral.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts