Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Explorer now gone, a much smaller and oft-maligned vehicle has taken its place.

Meet Brian, my new 2018 Prius Prime Advanced. I'll write up a little review later in the week/weekend, but for now, ask me anything.

Oh, and if you can figure out why I named it Brian--win a virtual cookie.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've got about 1,300 miles on Brian right now. Some notes:

-This car is quieter than you might think.
-This car is more fun to drive as a full EV than a hybrid, but driving it as a hybrid isn't bad at all.
-This car is roomier than a compact should feel.
-It's also lower to the ground than I'd like, but we all knew that.
-Observing 56-60 MPG pretty solidly when in hybrid mode.
-Fit and finish is FANTASTIC on this vehicle. Ford, take some notes, because every car review I watch on you now lampoons your laziness and inattention to detail.
-Low points of the car are cargo space (expected because PHEV) and the touch screen with no useful infotainment system, whatsoever.

We do have issues, however:
-My steering wheel has been off-center a hair more than I would like (even after accounting for road crown), so I asked it be adjusted. I figured one quick visit to the alignment machine would do that. Turns out the alignment was off in 3 places and they perceived a slight pull that I never noticed. They believe a tire is bad, so they ordered a new one for Monday. But, end of winter, we can't say that I didn't hit a few bad potholes.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So, the car now stands at 4,700 miles. And I have to say, it's been quite a great experience with the Prime.

Today, I performed the first scheduled maintenance with the selling dealer, but also asked them to revise the alignment for the third time. This time, they did get it correct.

I also had the car on a 1,200 mile roadtrip through downstate New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont, in which it performed flawlessly with a solid 60 MPG return.

This Toyota may be replaced with another Toyota when it is time. Ford, take notes. There's items I miss about the Taurus and Explorer, but I don't miss the drama that came with either vehicle, particularly with the Explorer.

Attachments

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Today was a bit of an expensive day. One of the Toyo Nanosomething A29s caught a nail, and this is after already having one of the Toyo tires replaced due to a pull that allegedly the tire was causing.

Went to a local tire shop, who declined to patch and couldn't get the new tire until Monday at about $120 all in. I've hated these tires from the start, so I made the entirely rational (sarcasm) decision to throw the baby out with the bathwater and put on four tires I can tolerate rather than to buy another one of a tire I can't get in a pinch and can't stand anyway.

So, while I don't believe it's an LRR tire, I went with the tried and true Altimax RT43 from General at all four corners. So far, the tire is quieter in all respects and should have far superior wet performance than the tire that it replaced. I also pushed the gentleman a bit at Mavis Discount Tire, who took it down from $80 a tire down to $75 and fudged some other numbers as well. I was out for well, well under $500 and that's with their sorta-meh-but-why-not road hazard warranty. Unfortunately, the car does drive noticeably heavier than before, but that's also with less than 50 miles on the tires and A/C cranking at a fairly significant duty cycle. Even though the compressor is all electric on this car and not belt driven, I have felt the drag even before the tire swap.

Overall however, MPG has continued to increase, even without charging, to well over 60 MPG calculated the old fashioned way (though the car's guess-o-meter is a little generous, about 3-4 MPG high. Which, on 60 MPG, truly is a smaller margin of error than most cars at 20 MPG.)

Total mileage is about 6400 or so. Only other defect I've noticed on the car is that I think the driver's door has a little buzz with the right bass hit, but most cars I've owned have suffered similarly.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, the Prius adventure came to an end about two weeks ago. After 10k miles, I got rid of the car--it was a great vehicle, but with terrible infotainment and was simply too low to the ground. So, mistake made and lesson learned.

But, the Toyota ownership experience has been stellar. Replaced it with a Rav4 Hybrid. If anyone's interested, I'll start a new thread on that.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
I personally can’t stand Toyota’s. Lexus on the other hand is a different story.

You mentioned the infotainment being terrible. Isn’t the rav4 the same though? I’ve always tried to figure out why people buy Toyota’s...

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
I personally can’t stand Toyota’s. Lexus on the other hand is a different story.

You mentioned the infotainment being terrible. Isn’t the rav4 the same though? I’ve always tried to figure out why people buy Toyota’s...
I recently bought a Lexus ES 350 and like it, especially the bind spot monitoring and cross traffic warning. I get 460 miles per tank and about 31 mpg. Voice controlled GPS stinks but system is good otherwise. I looked pretty close at an Toyota Avalon which is identical to the ES 350 mechanically. The Lexus certified cars carry two years maintenance and six year bumper to bumper except wear items. They will pick the car up at my house and leave a loaner, Toyota Avalon does have that goo of a warranty.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Prius had this obnoxious 11.6 in touchscreen on the previous generation of Entune--no CarPlay or Android Auto. Nav system was rough at best--I'm generally a huge fan of factory nav (think Sync 3), but I refused to use it in the Prius.

The Rav4 has a 7" (I think?) touch screen, but with a newer generation of Entune that's not as painful to use. My car didn't come with navigation, but does have CarPlay (sorry Android users.) Interface is slightly better and snappier even outside of the CarPlay bits. Sync3 is still superior, but this is at least usable.

That said for the "why people buy Toyota," I've honestly have had a really good ownership experience. The Prius was a solid vehicle, my dealer was 100% top notch, whereas my Explorer was problematic out of the gate and Ford eventually told me that they weren't going to talk to me about the vehicle anymore and began ignoring my inquiries. That's not to say Toyota doesn't build its own lemons, only that I'm so far having better luck here--so I'm sticking with it.

·
Administrator
6,642 Posts
Wow, a Sam sighting. Is the moon blue?
I mean I had to pop in to diss a toyota....

Fair enough, I would just personally pick a different car brand than Toyota I just can't stand them for multiple reasons. I had great luck with my Fusion, with only 1 dealer trip to fix a squeaky seat and seat cover that was wearing oddly... however I picked up a 2017 Continental and this thing has a been a nightmare and been at 2 dealers... We'll see what happens with that. When I did call Lincoln they seemed to really care and this woman gave me her extension and hours so I could call if I needed anything.

If the infotainment system has android auto/carplay its fine in my book. I prefer it to be great (sync 3), but as long as it works well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts