Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the Taurus gone and soon to celebrate and serve a new owner, I've moved into my new mistress, "Natasha," my 2017 Explorer Limited 301A 2.3L AWD. Options: adaptive cruise/collision warning, panoramic sunroof, optional polished aluminium 20" wheels.

It's been a busy few days. It's already got 450 some miles on it since I picked it up Tuesday. So far, I've put some LED's into the front signals with more coming this weekend, and I've installed both a front and rear dashcam setup with Power Magic Pro battery/low voltage protection.

(pics removed to be replaced later)

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mark.

I was very fortunate to be able to land this at a particularly odd time of my life to get it, too. But the deal was beyond good... I never did get to celebrate passing the bar and graduating from law school, so this was my indulgence. Not my most responsible purchase, but hey, when it can be made without impacting the rest of your life and all your other obligations are fulfilled... gotta buy a toy once in a while. :D

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed! As much as I love the LED look I reverted all the lights to stock incandescent today. My rear LEDs came with plug and play resistors... I ran the 4 ways for a bit and it got way hotter than I was comfortable with. So I got rid of those, and removed the fronts as well to kill the hyperflash.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have over 5,000 miles on the car now, and running 24-25 MPG per tank consistently. I am in love with the efficiency of the 2.3L EcoBoost platform and don't regret it a bit.

As for updates:

-I had a bad rattle at 2700 RPM--repaired thanks to a technician who is extremely talented.
-Part of my dash cam setup failed. My Power Magic Pro's switched power link failed at the Add-a-Fuse/Circuit component. Sad thing is, instead of blowing the fuse, the entire piece went down--both circuits on the component. Dash cam went down along with the RCM that was also fused with its own link.
-Front and rear turn signals are replaced with LEDs. There is no internal or external hyperflash as the BCM has been reprogrammed to ignore the "bulb out" warning--no crappy resistors required. Don't tell NHTSA. Thanks to @jmr061.
-When the key fob leaves the vehicle, the system no longer honks. Thank you, @jmr061, again!

For the camera, my friends at The Dashcam Store (shoutout!) are sending me a new fuse tap, gratis. I am still confused and shocked at it failing, but for a component that is fairly inexpensive out of the box, it is bound to happen.

Attachments

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
8,000 miles update.

The car had its first oil change next week, everything came up clean.

It also came back from it's nearly full body repaint. Yes, Ford repainted the entire car to the tune of over 5,000. They found chemical pops in the paint, and screwed around for a week wasting time on acid washes and other nonsense before issuing an approval for the entire car. It came out great and is getting detailed next Saturday.

In addition, I got my snow tires and wheels for it as well, and they look great. I'll post up some pics when they go on in November.

Right now I'm averaging between 23-25 MPG, depending on who you trust (Fuelly vs. the Explorer.) For an AWD overweight SUV in bad need of a diet, I'll take that. It it soaking up my commute incredibly well at 50 miles per day.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Haven't even thought about getting the snow tires on yet. That's usually the first week of December, unless Mother Nature dictates otherwise.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Snow wheels/tires will be going on my car as soon as the first snowflake flies. My winter tires are about half the cost the summers LOL

Anyway, loving the new rig! I quite like those new Explorers. Now they just need to offer one with the 3.0T like the Continental and MKZ have.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Haven't even thought about getting the snow tires on yet. That's usually the first week of December, unless Mother Nature dictates otherwise.

Early fall snow can be really bad:
Hurricane-force winds, peaking at 110 miles per hour (180 km/h) in Concord, New Hampshire and 160 miles per hour (260 km/h) in the New England highlands, disrupted power to 1,000,000 customers during the event. In all, the storm impacted 22 states, killing 353, injuring over 160, and creating US$66.7 million in damage (1950 dollars)

Day be fore Thanksgiving.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Appalachian_Storm_of_November_1950

I remember it well. Took 4 weeks to open the railroad which dropped off my new papers.

-chart-

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Explorer is now at nearly 15,000 miles in half a year's worth of driving...

Oops?

Well, screw it, these things are meant to be driven.

Anyway, on Sunday, I went out to put my new insurance cards in and the dome light never came on. Realized the battery was dead as a doornail. Used the new Jump Pack, no problems getting it to crank over. But being that it was late and I had work the next day, I decided not to do much about it and let it sit until I could get it properly diagnosed and fixed. I took the other car to work.

That afternoon I rushed over to the dealer after yet another jump. When I drove the car before that drive cycle, it still had some power after I shut the car down. Not so now. When I turned off the vehicle, everything was dead. There wasn't even enough power left in reserve to power the dome lights after the key was off.

The dealer threw the battery on the Rotunda tester, which took a glorious 3 hours or so not to finish testing. They gave me a new battery anyway and kicked me on my way, confident it was going to fail the next day--the service writer felt horrible. The next day, I checked in to see what the official diagnosis was--bad cell in the battery.

So, now I've got a new BXT-65-650 in the vehicle which seems OK so far. I cleared the BCM's memory with respect to the Battery Management System, and also cleared the PCM and properly taught the car its idle trims and ran it through the gearing for it's shift point adaptive learning. I am seriously debating getting a slightly beefier battery, but AGM.

There are two issues I need to deal with, still:
* Request a re-check on the brakes, particularly the check valve. I had the brakes checked a long time ago and was assured they were safe. I still randomly lose brake vacuum when the vehicle is off and I come into the car with a hard-as-rock brake pedal and I can't for the life of me figure out the mystery. No other Explorer owner seems to have this, but the one thing I do differently is that I use the e-brake more than most. I've made it habit to use it just to keep it from seizing.

* Power foot liftgate isn't always responsive when I want it to be. Sometimes it goes off just walking behind the car in the garage. I can't get it to fail consistently, though.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Man for a brand new vehicle you are having way too many issues! Exactly why I don't think im going back to ford if I ever get rid of my bull. Very cost friendly, but not worth all the problems that come with them cutting corners

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eh, not really when you look at it, it's just been "stupid" stuff rather than "catastrophic failure."

-Batteries have been dropping out left and right OEM in all Ford vehicles
-The paint issue was sloppy manufacturing--let's call it what it is
-Vibration issue was easily fixed once it was figured out (very hard to detect)
-Brake thing gets a "ding" but we'll see what that ends up being--been doing it since new
-Foot activated liftgate thing is just intermittent.

1/4 piss me off as those things leave you stranded, the rest are just warrantable annoyances. Honestly I'd have this poor of luck with any vehicle from any manufacturer. My friend's CRV needed a carrier bearing replaced a few weeks ago after before that having a timing chain replaced, another woman I know had a Sonata that overheated due to a failed rad fan, etc. I am doing alright by comparison. Stuff happens.

The amusing thing is that our Focus has yet to see the dealer after 9 months and 7k for a single warrantable issue, and that has the dreaded DPS6.

Yeah, I don't know how that happened either.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Eh, not really when you look at it, it's just been "stupid" stuff rather than "catastrophic failure."

-Batteries have been dropping out left and right OEM in all Ford vehicles
-The paint issue was sloppy manufacturing--let's call it what it is
-Vibration issue was easily fixed once it was figured out (very hard to detect)
-Brake thing gets a "ding" but we'll see what that ends up being--been doing it since new
-Foot activated liftgate thing is just intermittent.

1/4 piss me off as those things leave you stranded, the rest are just warrantable annoyances. Honestly I'd have this poor of luck with any vehicle from any manufacturer. My friend's CRV needed a carrier bearing replaced a few weeks ago after before that having a timing chain replaced, another woman I know had a Sonata that overheated due to a failed rad fan, etc. I am doing alright by comparison. Stuff happens.

The amusing thing is that our Focus has yet to see the dealer after 9 months and 7k for a single warrantable issue, and that has the dreaded DPS6.

Yeah, I don't know how that happened either.
Att list of warranty things done to my NEW Lin Cont = 2002. And then, nothing else done by me after, traded at 101K. Warranty = 50K.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That all said, the 2014 was the best car I owned... that car only asked for a sunload sensor and a couple of other little things once the initial delivery defects were corrected. Other than oil changes and an alignment (pothole), life was good.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts