Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
For the price they were hard to beat, and rated pretty highly in that size on Tire Rack.

The only thing I don’t like about the cluster design is the chrome trim around the gauges - it tends to reflect sun back into the driver’s eyes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, no. It’s at 79k, so the first item on the list is a coolant flush, and a trans service.

Then, I’ll have to replace the current tires. Snow tires are a bit loud.
Congratulations for the vehicle

Which trans service would be needed?
I need to finish reading the owners manual and also to check what are the main items to be reviewed

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The prior owner had hooligans in the back, so on top of the seats and headliner being filthy when I looked at it (Dealership got it 90% clean, there's still spots I have to touch up) the rear air vent louver controls were broken, so I finally ordered a replacement for $25 on eBay.

Finding Light Stone interior parts for this thing is harder than you'd expect - it seems most of the cars were ordered with the black interiors. I want to replace that armrest, where the pleather's cracking at the elbow resting spot, but I've struggled to find a decent one and may end up breaking down and buying a new one. (they're like $140)

I do have some mods in the planning stages, and I've had my first mechanical issue pop up - the driver door actuator/latch assembly is starting to go out. Works every time with the key, so I'm not rushing to change it, but it's on the list.

Reactions: sheila

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Got the full set (including the rear) for $50 shipped, new old stock, so I'm happy.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

Plug time this morning. (yes, I covered the intakes when I started doing more work)

I've seen worse for 102k.

Found this dud on the center of the rear bank. Whoever put it in didn't use any grease, and I don't think it was terribly well made to begin with, so I somewhat cracked the shield getting it off. Moved it to the front bank so when I replace it with a Motorcraft part, I can just do it quickly.

Also changed the wiper blades and fixed a kinked washer hose. Before the end of the year I plan to replace the windshield cowling and the wiper arms themselves.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire prices have absolutely gone through the roof this year. The Generals that were $127 in 2018 and $150ish last year are now $190 a pop - and still on the cheaper end.

But I got lucky and found these Pirellis on a Tire Rack close out for $119 each. I’d put 69k on the Generals so I couldn’t push them that much further, much as I’d have liked to get to October or so.

Car will probably hit 150k miles next week. Still planning to either replace or supplement her with something sportier, but the market’s still lousy at the moment. Maybe 2023.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
After some intermittent temp warnings that weren’t WP or coolant related, finally diagnosed it as a bad fan driver.

Automotive tire Grey Motor vehicle Outdoor shoe Automotive exterior

Plant Automotive tire Hood Tire Automotive lighting

There’s not a lot to the swap - remove the air box and accordion, flex the hoses and wire looms out of the way, undo the two 8mm bolts on the sides, and then gently rock it out as you slide to the drivers side. Factory service manual said same thing I found on YouTube (for an Edge, there’s almost no Gen 6 Bull stuff) 😄

It does help to remove the large rad hose clip from the fan before you pull it. There’s a notch in the side that lets you stick a screwdriver in and it slides right out - the new fan likely won’t have the clip, so you’ll have to transfer it anyway.

Figured it was easier to just replace the whole thing rather than doing the driver only for the fan itself to die soon.

AC works nice at idle again too, as you can imagine.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts