Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, Holly's supplement is here.

I happened to check AutoTrader this morning and saw a 2010 Taurus had been put up. No pictures as it was "Newly Listed", but it had 79k miles and the price was in my range.

Went down to see it at lunch, and closed the deal by two.

It's not crazily optioned, just a basic SEL with cloth seats, Ford remote start, and option pack 201A, which gave it reverse sensors and Sync, but the price/miles were right, and there's enough extra features over my car to make it a solid upgrade.

I'll still put most of my commuter miles on Holly, but this gives me a solid spare to have if Holly has an issue, or if I decide to send it in for service - it also enables me to get the drivers seat rebuilt, as Holly's had a busted drivers seat frame for a while.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To the best of my knowledge, no. It’s at 79k, so the first item on the list is a coolant flush, and a trans service.

Then, I’ll have to replace the current tires. Snow tires are a bit loud.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Congrats on the new car. It's exciting picking up a new car

·
Super Moderator
7,795 Posts
Congrats, Brad!

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Updated with actual pics of the car, and thanks, everyone!

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Car originally spent time in Colorado. TBH in Northern AZ they’d be great. Sam and I did some looking and I should be able to get a full set of all-seasons installed for $600 or so.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did some more cleaning this morning. The dealership did a solid job considering just how dirty the car was when I first drove it (kids) but they missed several spots, like this:

I took a pic halfway through. That strip was the worst of it.

Hooked it up to FORScan, car reported a pending PO130 for a possible O2 sensor fault (or a vacuum leak). I cleared the code and reset the PCM learning, and I'll see if it comes back.

Put about 300 miles on it so far due to an unexpected trip today. Returned 29MPG (calculated by hand) but there were too many variables for me to call that a definitive number.

Overall, it's quiet, comfortable, and quick enough for me.

Coolant is a little murky, so I'll change it next Saturday. The car will sit most of the week anyway, so I'm not too concerned.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
29 MPG for a long trip sounds about right. I remember driving the 13 FWD from about Binghamton north to Syracuse via 81, 29 MPG was holding nice and steady. Switching to the AWD dropped it an easy 2 MPG in any situation.

Granted, both were the Ti-VCT and this engine is the older (single VCT?) design, but I do think you can rely on numbers like that. Not bad, eh?

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, it’s just iVCT in this one. Still pretty impressive in a car that size. I usually pull 26-28 out of Holly unless she’s loaded enough to drop the ride height on a long trip, then I get a little over 30.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fluid and tires are still pending, though I already had to have a nail puncture fixed in one of the tires last week. Just touched over 80k miles yesterday.

Got the registration and plate today - $118 for a year isn't bad. I'd be surprised if it was much over $100 next year.

Drove it all last week with no events to report. Now that the learning's adjusted to my driving style and it's actually being driven it's responding a lot better.

Unfortunately, this car has reminded me just how worn out the drivers seat is in Holly, so while I'm still driving the old girl I'm going to have to get that seat rebuilt or replaced soonish.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been looking in JYs off and on for a while, but it's hard to find one with the right fabric pattern, color, that's also in good shape. Most JY cars get exposed to the elements in a hurry, and the sun is murder on cloth.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got new tires installed yesterday. Went with General Altimax RT43's, and after the MIR they'll have cost just under $600 for the tires + install.

I also finished the first modification: banishing that faux woodgrain.

Both are used trim pieces off a wrecked 2012 SEL with black interior, the "textured oval" variants.

My original passenger dash woodgrain panel will go to my parents, who bought a 2011 SEL a few weeks back. The panel in theirs is missing the T and has some foot scuffs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts